Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting started in loading .308/7.62 NATO

Tachyon

Hello all,

I'd like to start reloading .308 Winchester, and I've already got a pile of once-fired brass. I've been reloading .45 on a Dillon 650 for the past year. Besides new dies, what other tools are recommended. What dies do you recommend for .308 on a 650? Any other tips or advice?

Thanks for any suggestions,

if you are loading for precision, you might consider a single stage press. I don't know too many long range dudes that load on a progressive - I've been told there is a little bit more control and consistency out of a single stage.

However if you're loading to compete in 3gun or just build ripper rounds a progressive would be no issue.

Again, this what I've been told.

Are you loading for a semi-auto, or a bolt action/single shot? If reloading for a semi-auto, much more work is involved (resizing the brass back to factory dimensions every time you reload). The brass resizing, to a great extent, is what necessitates the case trimming, and shortens brass life. Reloading bottleneck rifle cartridges is much easier for a bolt action/single shot, and offers more benefits (e.g., custom fire formed cases for YOUR gun).

Well, I have a Remington 700 and a SCAR 17s, but I think the SCAR will probably use the most ammo in DMG/3-gun. Based on the recommendations here, I went on the Dillon website and came up with the following list:

Dillon Casefeed Plate Large Rifle

XL 650 Quick Change

Dillon Rifle Dies (Three-Die Sets)

Super Swage 600

Dillon's Rapid Trim 1200B Case Trimmer

Rapid Trim 1200 B Size/Trim Die

Did I miss anything?

Buy some Dillon case lube. You also need a method to measure a sized case (to determine if you have correctly adjusted your sizing die). For that I'd recommend you get a the Hornady comparator tool or the RCBS mic. You can get the steel case gauge as well. It will very roughly act like the Hornady and RCBS tools and you can also use it as a loaded round mic. If you were a relative, I would require that you get the Hornady/RCBS tool.

if you are loading for precision, you might consider a single stage press. I don't know too many long range dudes that load on a progressive - I've been told there is a little bit more control and consistency out of a single stage.

However if you're loading to compete in 3gun or just build ripper rounds a progressive would be no issue.

Again, this what I've been told.

Agreed on that end. For precision just get a solid single stage like the forster , redding, rcbs , or even GASP a lee classic cast. that's what i started on and i was more then able to get .5-.6 moa out of a remington sps varm.

Well, I have a Remington 700 and a SCAR 17s, but I think the SCAR will probably use the most ammo in DMG/3-gun. Based on the recommendations here, I went on the Dillon website and came up with the following list:

Dillon Casefeed Plate Large Rifle

XL 650 Quick Change

Dillon Rifle Dies (Three-Die Sets)

Super Swage 600

Dillon's Rapid Trim 1200B Case Trimmer

Rapid Trim 1200 B Size/Trim Die

Did I miss anything?

Once you trim you'll need the chamfer tools. Get decent ones, when I started loading rifle I bought a cheapie inside/outside knurled tool and it sucked. Bought proper tools and its much easier. Also primer pocket cleaner and brushes to clean out the case neck.

A case gage is required.

I would recommed a set of small base resizing dies. I use mostly used military brass and the 240 Bravo is pretty hard on brass. If you are rolling mostly commercial headstamp standard dies will probably be fine.

For trimming I highly recommend the 3way RCBS cutter head. It eliminates the need for chamfering.

I try to buy partially processed nato headstamps that already had the primer pockets reamed.

Make sure you don't mix and match commercial and nato headstamp. Also be sure your load starting recipe matches your case type.

Edited by OUshooter

• 2 weeks later...