Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel recommendation - accuracy

rvb

I think those are 1x8 twist IIRC.

Good barrels usually aren't hard to make shoot well.

I rarely if ever have the time to ladder test different loads. I just pick something and load up about 20rds.

I Can't remember the last time a good bullet and powder consistently loaded didn't shoot 1/2 moa or better @100.

You can PM me if you want.

Nick

Yup. 1/8 twist.

Thanks for the tips... I may take you up on the PM offer if we have any trouble finding a load that shoots well..... once we can track down some powder/bullets to try out, that is.

Thanks again, all, for the help.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Matching bolts are marketing BS on an AR15....

Rainer ultra match!

+1 for Rainer ultra match. Damn nice SS barrel for the $. Try to get a matching head spaced bolt from whose ever barrel you choose. Mine shoots sub MOA with factory ammo easy.

No longer looking, the Lilja is my hands waiting on some handguards (Seekins) to come off backourder.

Thanks for the additional suggestions, they may help someone else out reading along.

-rvb

Its not the the 'matching bolts' they are marketing, its getting a bolt (any bolt) properly headspaced to the barrel. Most barrel manufacturing companies will use a customer supplied bolt and headspace it for you if you want to ship it to them...

Matching bolts are marketing BS on an AR15....

Rainer ultra match!

+1 for Rainer ultra match. Damn nice SS barrel for the $. Try to get a matching head spaced bolt from whose ever barrel you choose. Mine shoots sub MOA with factory ammo easy.

OK, what about glass and ring recommendations for this application?

Dad is buying the scope, but I would like to make some recommendations. I don't know his planned budget, but let's assume $1k total (scope+rings).

Currently looking at vortex viper and viper HS (PST is maybe pushing budget) in the 20-24x range on the top-end. is that enough magnification? 6-20/24 seemed like a good range to me. What are bench shooters usually using? Also Burris has a x32, and nightforce has a benchrest model that's in the x42 range (but may blow the budget). Sightron may be an option. He preferes simple crosshair reticle, no mil dots or BDC.

Assuming a MOA base needed for these high-powered scopes due to limited FOV and reticle adjustment? maybe not an issue if he doesn't plan to "reach out." I'm NOT a glass expert!

Thanks,

Ryan

ps. build coming along nicely, just need to order the trigger, and the handguards should be off back-order in a couple weeks. Today is his last day of employment (begins his retirement tomorrow), so the timing almost worked out (if not for this crazy "panic" period we're in!).

Edited by rvb

yeah, 20-24x is enough.

NO need for MOA base on most scopes out to 3-400 yds if barrel is aligned in upper right.

I use the Vortex precision matched rings.

I do not like the forward offset 1 pc ringmounts on a serious rifle - not enough support IMO.

I wouldn't settle for less than a HS Viper. FFP PST would be best Viper model.

There are some high powered scopes for benchrest that may be suitable but I haven't checked into that for some time.

Nick

yeah, 20-24x is enough.

NO need for MOA base on most scopes out to 3-400 yds if barrel is aligned in upper right.

I use the Vortex precision matched rings.

I do not like the forward offset 1 pc ringmounts on a serious rifle - not enough support IMO.

I wouldn't settle for less than a HS Viper. FFP PST would be best Viper model.

There are some high powered scopes for benchrest that may be suitable but I haven't checked into that for some time.

Nick

Hi Nick,

It seems my Dad has settled on the 6-24 PST, but the 2nd-FP model. I think I'd prefer the FFP, but for his use (doubt ever doing range estimation, or hold overs at various powers), he thinks he'd prefer the reticle stay constant. Hard to find.... Midway is quoting November for availability! I found one local, but at MSRP.... The scope has tons of adjustment range and big enough FOV, so I didn't figure I'd need an MOA base with it. I was concerned if he went w/ something higher power I would need one.

I'm surprised on the rings comment. I thought most folks liked the 1-piece mounts for being more solid. I was planning on the JP scope mount. At a quick glance at the rings you mentioned, it looks like I would also need a riser? I'll have to see what he would prefer.

Thank, yet again!, for the help.

-rvb

The high rings put the center of the scope 1.26" from top of upper.

Mine are plenty high to put a 1o'clock dot mount underneath the eyepc. Worked great @ CMMG match last weekend!!!

The 1-pc mounts are nice for some things but Aluminum can only do so much being hung out there like that....

Being a full-time machinist and hobby engineer I tend to like heavy strong parts.

I do run the 1-pc offset mounts on my 22 conv and huntin ARs though.

Nick

The high rings put the center of the scope 1.26" from top of upper.

Mine are plenty high to put a 1o'clock dot mount underneath the eyepc. Worked great @ CMMG match last weekend!!!

The 1-pc mounts are nice for some things but Aluminum can only do so much being hung out there like that....

Being a full-time machinist and hobby engineer I tend to like heavy strong parts.

I do run the 1-pc offset mounts on my 22 conv and huntin ARs though.

Nick

Not sure ~1/8" clearance would be enough (spec shows outside dia of the PST's objective region at 2.26", or 1.13" to center... leaving only .13" with those rings). A lens cover would barely fit on there... might be ok if using a bikini cover, but if he puts caps on, they may well be touching the handguard.... The JP puts the center at 1.50". I think it's getting ordered this evening.

The PST arrived last night. It's simply AWESOME. Can't wait to get it mounted.

-rvb

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Lija AR740 barrel

Hi Patrick,

I got the rest of the parts I needed off backorder so I'm getting ready to assemble the top-end of the gun.

I have a question for you about installing the gas block on the AR740 from Lilja. They machined a flat section on the bottom of the barrel under the gas block for set screws... they did not dimple the barrel. I don't mind putting a dimple for on most barrels, but I hate putting a $500 barrel under the drill press given the application. Did you dimple for gas block set screws? Does the flat give enough grip (I see it preventing the block from rotating, but not necessarily holding it in place front/back.

Given the application and that the block will be protected back under the handguards, I'm thinking about leaving well enough alone, but I'm curious to hear your opinion!

Thanks!

-rvb

If you are going to dimple it, I wouldn't use a drill press. I would use something that has a bit more resolution such as a mill. If you want to bring it on over, we can put one on if you decide that is the route you want to go.

I ended up just using the set screws and left the barrel alone. the block is back under the handguards so it's hidden from bumps and knocks, and knowing my dad and his planned use, this will be one of the most babied ARs on the planet. Doubt it will ever be tossed in a barrel or fired till smoking or thumped into barricades. I red locktited the screws (which have the knurled ends) and put a mild stake on them.

While a mill would be better, I wouldn't hesitate to use a drill press.... the alignment isn't critical (dia of the gas block hole is 2x that of the gas port), and you're not going deep. so long as you start w/ a good centerpunch, the bit shouldnt wander enough to matter. thanks for the offer anyway!

The Seekins handguards were taking too long. First I was told early May, then end of May, then end of July. So I went w/ JP 15".

I have to pick up some blue locktite (stuff randomly vanishes out of my garage, I know it) for the screws to put the handguard tube on the barrel nut and it's done!

hoping we can get it out this weekend to test it out....

the geisselle "high speed match" trigger is... wow.....

I no longer want to give this gun away. too bad Dad knows it's coming, I could have just bought him a shirt for father's day......

-rvb

Edited by rvb

It'll be here till Sunday, then it's going home with him (unless I can convince him to store it at my house!).

We'll most likely be at FWRR Sunday pm giving it a run...

-rvb

• 2 months later...

Dad's getting familiar w. the gun...

No load development yet, as components are scarce, but here are some results w. some random 55gr "match" factory stuff... Right at .5" can't wait to see what it'll do after he finds the "right" load... Thanks for the advice on this one! :)

-rvb

post-6093-0-42825900-1377913034_thumb.jp

• 2 months later...

Another one to look at is Chris' Winning Shooting Accessories

http://www.cpwsa.com/gun_parts_ar.htm

AR15%20barrel%201.jpg

Custom built to our specifications for use on the competitive and tactical carbines that we offer. .875" before the gas block, .750 at the gas block, then .725 to the muzzle. It is black phosphate finished, fluted, 16" long, with mid-length gas, 1 in 9 twist, with M4 ramps and 5.56 NATO chambered.

Found this thread while looking for barrel recommendations.

Does anyone know if this is a stainless steel barrel?

Chris combines these with a JP upper at an attractive price. And from the advertising, it likes my old standby, M193 ammo.

Thanks.

Bill

Wilson Combat or Satern. 18" seems to be the best practical size, unless he plans on Prairie Dogging long distance. Medium profile is handier, unless it's planned to need rapid fire strings without getting some flex.