The geek walk

carinab

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These stories are about SciFi/Comic/Gaming Cons and its easy to laugh at those people as die-hard geeks, but I hate to tell you that the madness is much wider spread.

I have worked for the last 11 years implementing one of the world's largest back office (HR, Benefits, Payroll, Recruitment, etc) software packages, 9 years as a traveling consultant and the last 2 years for a local employer. Each year the software vendor holds a huge conference for all its customers, implementation partners, and third party software partners.

When the market was good, the conference was basically something you suffered through during the day for the hospitality suites and parties at night. Now we are talking about consultants making $140,000 a year and up, here. The liquor flowed like water. The year the small consulting firm I worked for merged with a larger one, the owner (a man) of my company showed up wearing a wedding dress and the CEO of the larger one was dressed as the groom! About 3am that morning, most of the company's officers and consultants were down in the pool with what I thought were inflated beach balls bouncing back and forth. What they were actually playing pool volleyball with was an inflated sheep sex doll!

And then I see THEM.

Seven guys, each duded up as one of the Dr. Who actors. Seven distinct, letter-perfect iterations of the costume one of the different Dr. Whos wore.

Tardis Express - For when it absolutely, positively has to be there before you sent it!

I'd forgotten all about this thread...Damn funny stuff... :D:D

• 4 months later...

I just sold some stuff to Kenny, the "Elvis Trooper". He also does "Elvis Solo."

Damn funny guy, by the way, and does not (as you might expect) take anything seriously.

A

Which is, by the way, what puts so many at SF and comics cons over the top: they take it seriously. Not to pick on trekkies, but I have overheard heated and involved discussions on the intricacies of Klingon grammar, and which set of blueprints are "correct" for the various models of Enterprise.

And every time I mention it, my wife reminds me of what shooters sound like when discussing reloading. :lol: