Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom P9 Open Gun

ErikW

Awesome gun Erik! Looks like solid pin conversion to SA only (EGW?) and a trigger unlike any I have ever seen on a Tanfoglio. Also, is that a welded-on custom mag well? What is the story with the triggergaurd being square?

Carlos,

that was the standard trigger Tanfoglio installed on their open guns back in 1996 or so.

I have seen plenty of them in those years.

Since they no longer manufacture them, I hear several shooters here in Italy missing that long straight trigger for single action only guns.

very cool

Huening used to make the best trigger and hammer for these guns..

Bruce did a nice job with all the weld work..I remember watching my gunsmith build mine..the beavertail, the triggerguard and the magwell were all heavily worked areas..

Erik...very cool gun...

Even in this lo-res pic you can see the travel screw on the trigger. I think the trigger guard was custom-made like the mag well and beavertail. I don't think Springfield imported any Tanfoglios with trigger guards like this, just the round CZ-faithful one and maybe a combat finger-in-front one. The welding and finishing are seamless and invisible; you would think it came from the factory this way.

The previous owner used a Tasco or something. I put an Optima on it when I got it. Then I got smart and went to a C-More. My gunsmith said putting on the Dawson 1911/2011 scope mount was a bjtch. The screw holes needed to go right where that ledge is.

I put a Sprinco and a light spring in it, intending it as a Steel Challenge gun, but I haven't got around to working up a steel load. I used to run it at 175 PF with a heavy spring and bullets from 124-147 gr. I think it's still competitive*, but I don't know how well the comp works at 165-170 PF. It has been a safe queen ever since I got the Supertanker and will likely stay that way for a while because the World Shoot conflicts with the Steel Challenge next year. Maybe it would be a cheap way for somebody to try Open in California?

* Its competitiveness was going to be settled in a bet with ShooterGrrl's #1 fan but he chickened out and moved to Tennessee.

It has been a safe queen ever since I got the Supertanker and will likely stay that way for a while because the World Shoot conflicts with the Steel Challenge next year. Maybe it would be a cheap way for somebody to try Open in California?

Rumor has it Steel Challenge will move a couple weeks earlier (where it will no doubt, conflict with the Nationals).

• 2 weeks later...

Looks cool Eric! You don't see many of these with a CMore on them, it really changes the appearance of the gun. That triggergaurd and beavertail look really nice. The gunsmith must be really talented. I'm sure you could be competitive with it, mag capacity may be an issue, but if you can get a reload in, in a step or two, it isn't going to matter. Thanks for sharing the pics :D