Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have a technical question:

stinsonbeach

say, where can I get a "low drag" mag follower?

Nordic is out.

I polished my factory follower with a Dremmel and it works fine. Look at Brownell's for the GG&G, they may have them. Have heard good things about them.

*** did that & ordered one.

Thanks.

You're welcome. I hope you get that JM up and running! Look out Versa's and Bennelli, oh and SLP's too!

My stock follower would hang about every 6 out of 10 times when practicing my load two. It would stick where the ext attaches. A little shake of the gun at it would free up. I figured under live fire the recoil would cure this problem. Wrong. Jammed the first 3 gun I ran with it. Now that being said I added the Nordic follower and took it out about 3 weeks ago and it ran like a champ!!!!!! Put about 150 federal bulk through it without any issues at all! When I am practicing my load two no issues at all. Not sure what your issue is but that was mine. Hope it helps.

My stock follower would hang about every 6 out of 10 times when practicing my load two. It would stick where the ext attaches. A little shake of the gun at it would free up. I figured under live fire the recoil would cure this problem. Wrong. Jammed the first 3 gun I ran with it. Now that being said I added the Nordic follower and took it out about 3 weeks ago and it ran like a champ!!!!!! Put about 150 federal bulk through it without any issues at all! When I am practicing my load two no issues at all. Not sure what your issue is but that was mine. Hope it helps.

*** I bought a Nordic low drag & then 2 others from Brownells...I can always use them in my 870's.

One of 'em has got to work!!!

I am interested to know what your problem is. Some kind of feeding or loading issue is what I have deducted so far. How about some specifics so other people can help or if anyone is having similar issues this thread can help them.

George

"GeorgeD" - all of the above! Seriously. I'm going to take the mag-x off & give it a run w/ an new short stock spring & cap. If I can get it to run like that than that tells me I'll just have to wait for my recently ordered springs & followers. If it doesn't then it gets complicated & then I'll be writing novels explaining. See the problem?

I'll let you know how it all shakes out later today.

• 3 weeks later...

StarDate 20130417:

I've b*ed & moaned about my JM Pro, but this'll be my last.

I waited almost 7 months for a 22" that I pre-paid for & wound up w/ a 24" - figured I'd take it or wait another 7 months. As I said previously the one I inspected when I bought it was "finished". It was de-horned & everything fit. The one I eventually got looked like it came from a defunct AK factory! Rough, to say the least.

Then it took another 5 or 6 weeks to get it to run...BUT now it does & runs like a champ! I'm astonished!!!

I had tried everything - & I mean everything - to get it to take more than 5 shells & feed. Tried stock Remington, Benelli & other Mossberg springs of all sizes. Tried followers from everywhere. Plastic. Aluminum. Steel. All shapes & sizes. No combo could get it to run.

Then I pulled it completely apart & looked (actually looked) & saw that the mag extension is NOT one piece like almost all others & as I already knew that, I didn't give it much thought before. The tube & the forend nut are two separate pieces that screw onto the receiver & there is a space between the two sets of threads. So w/o writing a novel I realized that that gap can be "tuned." Trial & error (gap, follower & spring combo - making for some serious yelling) I got the right combination. I first tightened the tube & tube-nut (?) for the least amount of gap w/o over doing it & thus allowing adjustment on the fly - leaving the barrel/tube brace off. Then it was merely getting the right spring (Wolff 45" x-power cut to 13" over mag tube length: 36+" total); the right follower (a cheap-o from Brownells - lime-green plastic w/ a post, as I remember as a kid all the followers had a guide post on them); last was this - & this is a bit strange - I put a follower...the stock one...on the TOP of the spring - the one that goes into the mag-x & sits under the muzzle, because when I screwed the mag-x onto the receiver I could hear it binding & torquing inside the tube.

Voila'!!! It now shoots all day long. High-brass. Low-brass. Slugs. Buck. Defensive low power. XPower. Anything & everything...& any & all combos w/o a hiccup . . . & thanks to you guys I learned about "ghost loading" & it too works like a charm. So w/ a 24"er I get 9-1-1. That's eleven (11) rds of 2 3/4 "anything" as fast as I can pull the trigger! ...& you can put a 3"er in the hole & one on the lifter - so that gives you 9 2 3/4" in the tube & 2 3" in the receiver. Don't get me wrong, it's still a piece of plastic & stamped junk, but boy can it run! Remember now, I wanted it to fail so I could continue to gripe, so when it started working, I did everything I could think of to have it crap out. It refused. Would I depend on this piece for a 3-gun? Yes - as much as it pains me - absolutely!

I'd like to thank y'all - Jersey-boy? - for all your help & advice. I hope my time w/ this piece will prove helpful...& save some momentous time - to someone else having some of these same problems.

-jb

Edited by stinsonbeach

Congrats. Feels good when the turd becomes reliable and fun to shoot. :cheers:

*** ain't that the truth!

In fact, when you're forced to put that much time & effort into something that you figure is a "lost cause" it feels even mo' betta!!!

...& I have to admit, it is fun to shoot.

Congrats. Feels good when the turd becomes reliable and fun to shoot. :cheers:

*** ain't that the truth!

In fact, when you're forced to put that much time & effort into something that you figure is a "lost cause" it feels even mo' betta!!!

...& I have to admit, it is fun to shoot.

Great news JB. Go out there and show those high drag Benelli, Versa and SLP shooters what the Mossy and gun driver can do bro!