Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" vs 5" 9mm

35WLN

I know that for me I shoot my 6" limited gun faster and I seem to have an easier time being more accurate at speed too. I am looking at having a dedicated 3 gun pistol made and am wondering should I see the same benefits with a 6" over a 5" in 9mm? Does anyone have any real world experience with both 5" and 6" 9mm's that they care to share. Thanks

I have a 6" 9mm that I use for steel challenge matches. I have it lightened to the same weight as my 5" 9mm. On most stages I don't think it makes any difference, but I think the longe sight radius gives me a slight edge on longer stages like outer limits.

Hello: I have a 5" and a 6" I built and like the 6" better. The slide is lightened and I use 121grain bullets. It has a bushing barrel and a Briley aluminum guide rod to make it a little lighter. I get better hits with the 6" and it is a tack driver at 50 yards :cheers: Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Gonna be tough to find 180gr 9mm bullets...

For the COF's at bigger 3gun matches, the extra sight radius of the 6" pistol will be handy on all the little steel targets that are being used at 20+ yds. As far as bullets go, its going to depend on what exactly you want out of it. Since there isnt a power factor at most 3gun matches, you can truly use whatever feels best to you, knocks down targets and cycles the gun reliably. And, the lighter bullets are usually a little cheaper.