Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide, barrel, frame fit on 2011 pistol after Ferritic Nitrocarburizin

lksyotas

I'm thinking about getting my brand new Eagle 5.0 refinished by Ferritic Nitrocarburizing. Specifically, I've talked to a gentleman that does side work for MMI-Trutec - their process is called ISONITE QPQ. I believe a few vendors here use this process and perhaps use this exact company to do their finishing services under different marketing names.

I'm coming from shooting primarily Glocks in competition and have never had any corrosion issues with them. One of the things that has always irked me is how each of my carbon and stainless 1911's have always exhibited rust regardless of how well I maintain them. (I must have a high acidity content in my sweat) I've longed to have a 1911 qualities with the durability and corrosion resistance of a Glock. So that lead me to researching these finishes. My question is for those who have had this process done to their close tolerance firearms, does the slide, barrel, and frame fit suffer from the >1000F heat treat temperature that this process utilizes? I'd hate to refinish my slide, barrel, and frame only to find that the parts have warped and either don't fit together or worse yet become looser due to the excessive heat.

Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated!

It's my understanding that is what Dan Wesson's new "Duty Finish" is. I have a Valor with it and it's the nicest black firearm finish I have ever seen. My Valor's slide to frame fit is beautiful by the way, so someone has it perfected

a lot of companies use some form of this... melonite, salt bath nitriding, but the dan wesson duty coat is nice.....i had one of my 1911s engraved and nitrided and it is fine, no issues with any parts warping if the company who does it knows what they are doing

Freedom Gunworks isn't doing the Atrinite last I checked.

Check with H&M they do Smith & Wesson's M&P's.

Any idea as to why he stopped doing the finish? As far as I could tell, he was using the company that I am debating on using to refinish mine. I emailed Bobby two weeks ago and didn't hear back so I figured he was swamped with work.

Any idea as to why he stopped doing the finish? As far as I could tell, he was using the company that I am debating on using to refinish mine. I emailed Bobby two weeks ago and didn't hear back so I figured he was swamped with work.

Don't know why but I'm sure he's busy and that may play a part in it. I will be getting this treatment as well on a 2011 and so far I've been told it's not a coating but more as a metal treatment that has little to NO thickness.

MMI-trutec and H&M are the ones I'm looking at.

Give an update as to who you go with and an after you get it back review.

Don't know why but I'm sure he's busy and that may play a part in it. I will be getting this treatment as well on a 2011 and so far I've been told it's not a coating but more as a metal treatment that has little to NO thickness.

MMI-trutec and H&M are the ones I'm looking at.

Give an update as to who you go with and an after you get it back review.

I plan on sending my parts out next month after I shoot the classifier for IDPA. I have components that I specify at work that get ferretic nitro-carburized, thin (.065") steel plates, for wear and abrasion resistance. This heat treat process is relatively a low temperature process when comparing to alternate methods but it is still close to the temperature at which the steels grain structure will begin to alter. So I want to be careful as to prevent distortion on the tight fits of this gun. The actual heat treat process is specified to be .0005-.001" deep. No material addition, just penetration.