Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case sticking in station #2 SDB

Greetings,

I'm reloading 40 S/W on my SDB press. Moving the lever back up, it feels like the case is getting stuck in the Powder/belling die. You can pull through but it's much more resitance than I'm used to, and does not seem right.

I've got the belling adjusted to where it's barely any at all, so I don't think thats it, and the expander powder funnel does not look damaged or anything.

Ideas appreciated!

There may be some residue building up in the die from a mixture od case lube,case cleaning/polishing compounds and powder. I have noticed the same problems so I started cleaning all of my dies with a cotton swab and denatured alcohol after 2000 reload cycles.

If the brass is really clean, like stainless pinned, it will be harder to pull the powder funnel back out of the brass. You can really polish the funnel which will do two things, reduce the diameter slightly - this will help "wasp waist" the case to some degree, which helps resist set back, and will make it slicker so the case will release more easily.

I'd cleaned the die really good before set up, I have loaded several thousand round son it last year no grief, but I do recall it was getting little sticky at the end of the run. Brass is once/twice fired but has been cleaned well.

I'll try to the one shot and polishing the funnel if that does not work.

Thanks for suggestions!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Dillon says: that happens with new brass or overly cleaned brass. They say only vibrate for 1.5 hours. Some residual carbon on the inside surfaces acts as a lubricant and allows the die to slide out of the brass more easily.

That may work great for once fired brass but I just started on 3000 brand new starline 9mm cases. I am at 600 case mark and am really getting preturbed.

I use to have a XL650 and never had a problem with new 10mm starline cases expanding and releasing off the expansion bell die.

Now I have a 550 and it gets really stuck sometimes. If i pull up too quick to break the stuck case, I throw some powder out. :(

I was noticing fine brass shavings on the indexing plate around the cases. I figured the expansion bell was drawing / scraping off the brass on inside of the cases in station 2.

At the 300 round case mark, I tried first recleaning around the expansion bell.

At the 400 round case mark, I tried using a sponge sandpaper fine grit to buff it out. it helped for about 50 rounds.

I do not have any One Shot. I do have Dillon Case Lube.

Any info would be greatly Appreciated

Edited by Davis