Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ordering a 650 with a bunch of dies

Good Afternoon,

My name is Brad and I have a question about ordering from dillon or Brian Enos. I am not sure if I am missing something. Can you all please help me out?

I need to order:

1 650 press

the dies to reload: .223, .45 acp, 40 S&W, 9mm Luger, 44 Mag, 357 mag, .380 Auto,7.62x39, 30.06, 25.06

4 Tool heads

4 Powder dies

1 strong mount

1 powder check

1 electric case feeder for calibers .223,.45 acp, 40 S&W, 9mm

? Primer pick up tubes

? Scale (possible D-terminator?)

1 case feed plate small pistol

1 case feel plate small rifle

1 case feed plate large pistol

1 super swage 600

1 Bullet tray

Other than reloading componets what else do I need to begin reloading?

Conversion kits for dies and casefeeder

micrometer

quick change kits

Several of those calbers can use the same shell plates and pins. There is a spread sheet at the store(brionenos) site.

Have you reloaded before? High power is right. Contact Brian with your list. He's your new best friend. When Brian is done, you'll be hooked up. Welcome to the forums. Lots of great info here.

650xl user here.

THat sure is a wide spread of calibers you listed.

Did you stop to consider the 550b?

The 650 is great don't get me wrong. But it is such a pain to swap calibers and to set up again. I've determined I wont swap a caliber

out unless I'm running 1k or more of a given caliber. In my case 45acp mostly with some runs of 38 special for heavy practice rounds.

I dont' even plan to bother running 357 runs on my xl650. Don't plan to load up 1k plus of that at a time. My Lee Classic Turret alt press

does that fine for me given the limited amounts I fool with. That and the 45 colt and 45 casul I load for as well.

Sure I could rig up my XL to do those but IMO it just isn't worth the time and cursing to set it up for limited runs.

Of course, if you plan to load boat loads of each of all those like 1k plus per run, sounds great.

Enos has a great FAQ that every prospective Dillon buyer should read.. somewhere in there is 'which dillon?'.

Whichever ya pick, enjoy your Blue and good luck getting components for all that.

Oh, and if you do go with that 650. Id use a tool head for each caliber. that would be 10 of them. One does NOT want to be dicking around with toolhead adjustments very often.

Edited by Buzi

I would probably guess that you'll want to have a dedicated toolhead setup for each caliber, including the powder measure. This will make it a lot easier on you, however it is more expensive. And, I would also suggest at least one spare parts kit. If you plan on making the ammo for sale (sounds like it), I would probably have at least 2 of every spare part on the machine...

Edited by polizei1

Well, given your planned situation I'd think about tossing in that 'new' primer tube loader I saw on Dillon's site.

Maybe someone with experience with that can chime in. I'd think if it works it would make loading vast quantities much easier.

Manually loading the primer tubes is time consuming. Fine for someone like me who is just doing this as a hobby and loading for personal

reasons. But if I was planning on what it sounds like you may be doing, I'd spend to skip that step assuming that fancy auto primer loader doo-dad actually works.

For a scale I settled on this as the bbest bang for buck for accuracy:

My Weigh Gempro250 diamond scale

http://balance.balances.com/scales/9/

I did some week long research on the web and after reading a number of sources I ended up picking that over the conventional

electronic scales sold by various reloading vendors. Resolution was the reason.

I determined that all the scales sold by typical reloading vendors were no more accurate or consistant than the typical 35 dollar max

cost el cheapo electronic scale.

My opinion is based purely on various web sources not personal confirmation or any great technical expertise on my part.

IMO every bench should have a old-school mechanical beam balance. I still have the one I started with in mid-70's the then el-cheapo

RCBS one. Still works and never needs battery's or electric socket and if not abused will outlast me.

Electronic sensors in the electronic scales WILL DEGRADE over time. One can slow this by NOT keeping weights or unused PANS on the scale plate when the scale is not in use.

Leaving scale pans on such devices will erode that delicate electronic sensor.

Back to your list. Even though you may concentrate on just say 4 calibers to pump out in quantity (I presume that as you have only listed 4

tool heads) I'll re-emphasize you dont' want to mess up die settings once set to your satisfaction for a given load/caliber. Especially given

what you seem to plan.

As far as the mounts Dillon offers. They are fine if you are a loader who didnt' plan the bench to be at the proper height for the operator.

I say proper height as I'm biased others of course have other opinions.

If it is built high enough the mount would be undesirable. For a 6' tall person a 41 inch height of the bench is ideal. Maybe a inch higher even.

Using the standard old school ball gear shift on my xl means no bending when standing at the bench. THe hopper is just low enough to clear

the ceiling inside a standard house with standard ceiling height. I'm sure the nice roller handle would be the same.

If it was me, I'd have a minimum of 4 powder drops. Get some of those cheap blue knobs on Ebay to fit the nuts. Get some. Get some masking

tape to attach to the drops and mark how many turns OUT you have the powder drop bar screw turned away from full stop.

I epoxy-ed an appropriate sized washer with graduated markings on the powder bars I use. Instant powder drop 'micrometer'. Works for me.

Have Dillon send you the alignment kit for that press that you are ordering. IMO they should ship that damn kit with every press. You WILL need it.

I dont' see a trimmer listed. I I dont' load 223 rifle yet but from all the vids of those doing so using Dillon gear most seem to use

some sort of trimmer, and many do so using the press mounted version Dillon sells.

yah, as someone else mentioned. Spare parts kit. Order it with the press and stash it.

You might consider extra powder check adjustment rods. Either that or just take notes and measure with dial calipers the settings

you use for each caliber. The drop comes with one small diameter rod and a large one. Given your list You'd want mroe of the small diameter ones. I think only the 45 and 44 would use the large one. Just checked to confirm that with mine.

I think the powder check comes with one powder drop die. You will want powder drop dies for that device for each die toolhead plate. You do not want to be adjusting that (see a pattern here? grin.) every time you swap calibers. Unless you enjoy that sort of tinkering for 'fun'.

Of course each powder drop comes with a powder drop die but then you'll want more (in addition to what I mentioned above) for those other

toolheads that I think you should order for those 'off' calibers.

Hehe. It never stops.

If your really getting serious, one will want a XL650 set up for SMALL primer calibers and one for LARGE primer calibers.

Once you get your 650 in you will see why. I'd then suggest having a spare primer stack around for the time you do manage to blow

a stack. Then you'll have spare parts on hand. HOpefully that day would never come but it can happen. (I know I did it. I'll post pics some day).

I am getting 2 650's by the way. Can you all proof read this I am ready to place this order. I have a reloading manual micrometer and the little odd and ends I use from my lee set up. Am I missing anything? Thank you all for the help.

14406 Dillon 9mm Carbide 3-Die Set $ 63.95

14398 Dillon 40 S&W/10mm Carbide 3-Die Set $ 63.95

21528 Depriming Pins 10-Pack: Dillon Pistol Dies Only $ 5.75

10096 Dillon 223/5.56 3-Die Set - Carbide $ 152.95

15816 Depriming Pin, Universal De-capping Die/270 $ 3.99

21146 650 Spare Pts Kit $ 25.95

21044 Powder Check System - 650/1050 only $ 68.95

21072 Casefeed Plate - Large Pistol (550/650/1050) $ 38.95

21071 XL 650 Caliber Conv: 45 ACP/GAP $ 77.95

21109 XL 650 Caliber Conv: 9mm/38 Super $ 77.95

21081 Casefeed Assembly - Large Rifle (650/1050) $ 218.95

20095 Super Swage 600 $ 100.95

16981 Dillon XL 650 in 357 Sig $ 566.95

Edited by precisionarmsandammunition

I'd probably drop the powder check unless you absolutely want it. With a little bit of light, it's really easy to see inside the case. However, some people like having them. Also, if you ever plan on using a bulletfeeder, you won't be able to use the powder check unless you seat/crimp together. Just something to think about.

Edited by polizei1