Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bang BANG bang bang BANG

amateur

My 38Super load is 7625/124/Fed SRP loaded to major. STI with comp. During practice 2 days before the match (local), I noticed that it goes bang BANG bang bang BANG. After I got home i choose same brand of brass, and reloaded again. I am already meticulous with weighing of the powder, but this time I check the weight at 10 round interval so to make sure its not the weight of the charge. I measured each bullet both oal and crimp and case gauge each to make the whole batch identical. During the match, it still goes bang bang BANG bang BANG. Ive been using this load for almost 3 years now without that bbBbbBbB until this week. Any thoughts? By the way, my reloader is 650xl with redding dies.

Thanks

Guest Larry Cazes

How clean does this load burn? Is there a lot of unburnt powder around the ejection port and in the chamber? Could be due to unburnt powder building up in the comp. I also would check for bullet setback due to inconsistency in your crimp with mixed headstamped brass. I have experienced this myself in .40SW loaded with mixed range brass.

Could be due to unburnt powder building up in the comp.

Don't know about 7625, but that's what mine does with VV N350. A little builds up in the comp, and every 4th or 5th shot goes "whoompf". But, it chronos very consistently and runs great in my gun, so I just consider it an additional "entertainment value".

Bruce

Check your bullet diameters, and/or your first inch of barrel bore dimension. You are getting gas leakage past the bullet as it leaves the case and befor the bullet seals in the bore of the barrel. Change bullet brand, (larger diameter) and make sure you don't squash the bullet when you crimp. It could be that your barrel is worn out. Powder building up in the comp is an old shooters tale. If you have not changed your load or components of your ammo, and now you have this problem, then I would lean towards the barrel.

I see this happen VERY often with some of the local Open shooters in our area. Seems to be the reason is a build up of unburnt powder. Just liek you descirbed, when they are shooting all of a sudden one of the rounds sound like it had the "Turbo" turned on. ;)

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies. I check the comp and there is only minimal soot in there. Nothing grainy or building up of gunk from powder.

I ask a friend who has a brand new STI open. I ask him to load on his reloader and supplied him the powder (from the same container), bullet from the same box and primer from the same batch. Again, same headstamp brass but this time they are all brand new. Same charge. It was a pain, because after the brass passed the powder station, we weighed the powder to make sure the load is the same and back again into the brass. OAL is strictly = or +/- .001. We spent almost the whole afternoon but we want answers so we did it. Well its the same both on his gun and mine.

Team GE - Im using .356 FMJFP / .382 crimp gives me a very faint crimp line.

One more thing....is there any chance that your powder is contaminated with another powder? I'll swallow my pride and admit that I was that stupid once. It took me a while to figure out what was going on but I finally figured that I must've poured Vit 320 back into a container of Vit 3N37. Loads were very inconsistent and every once in a while I'd get a big ole boom, case seperation, powder in the face. It's very impressive. I had to throw about 3 lbs of powder and 400 bullets away.

If that's not a possibility then you really need to shoot it over the chrono. If all that proves ok then you're only left with pull your hat down tight, keep your mouth shut and double plug. It's gonna get loud around here.