Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 upper on limited large frame

e-mishka

now i have 13lb hammer spring, what should i move up to ?

made new firing pin? please elaborate.

I've owned both the large frame and the small frame .22 conversions and in my experience they need at least a 15# hammer spring to reliably light off primers and a high velocity 40 grain bullet to cycle the slide. I believe with a longer firing pin and some spring work (maybe some slide lightening) it could be made more reliable, but I didn't have the time for that project. I did throat the chambers which helped with feeding issues. Nealio bought my large frame, so maybe he got it working better?

I've been having troubles getting mine working good. My goal is to be able to run it with a 13lb hammer spring. I made a longer firing pin, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. Also I cleaned up the extractor where it hit the barrel as that was dragging a lot.

Currently it runs AWESOME (super accurate, tosses brass good) when its clean, but for some reason the chamber loads up with gunk easily. I've tried 6 different brands/types of ammo, and the same thing happens. My buddy theorizes that I've got it moving soo free that its moving out of battery pre-maturely.

It runs great for 30-50 rounds, then starts to have chambering and extraction issues. If I just run an empty case in and out of the chamber a few times, its good to go for another 30 rounds or so.

Next time I go out I was going to try stiffer recoil springs to see if that helps and also see if my longer firing pin works with the 13lb hammer spring.

I think I can get it working, I've just been working on other projects.

I don't foresee using a 13lb spring as reliable. I actually keep a 16lb spring with the kit and change it out when I use it. if you are having ignition problems, check to see if the firing pin is hitting on the rim,...as it is a rim fire. It should be hitting at 12 oclock.

• 3 weeks later...

So I ran my .22 upper today with the longer firing pin ,13lb hammer spring, and 6lb recoil spring. It worked just OK. Had a lot of FTE's (2 per mag) My extractor isn't in the best shape, so I don't know if that's it or if its not cycling back as far as it should with that 6lb spring. Its hard to say which, or maybe its both.

I also had a couple fail to fires, but that was always after I had a FTE and plucked the empty out, so it might have been related to it not being 100% in battery. It seems like when everything was perfect it ignited just fine, so I think I may take down the spring weight on the firing pin just a tad, and sharpen it just a tiny bit.

I'll keep you guys posted.