Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Dummy Rounds

JimmyZip

I have access to ay more shop than I can use. I was wondering if I were to make some dummy rounds to practice with reloading, what material would be good to use? It is no problem for me to copy and turn the profile on a lather. I am not too bad with the machine. What I was wondering though is weight and type to match the shell and also not beat up the action either, especially the extractor and possibly the ejector to a lesser extent.

I can get most types of aluminum through IMS. I can also use HDPE. I have an extruder and a vacuum tank too and could extrude a part and put a brass base on it. OR just purge out a blank, cut it to the upper shell body specs, and then cut an aluminum or brass base that is hollow but with a lip like a typical SG shell and fuse them with heat or a screw through the base where the primer would be.

Any of you out there who have messed with a lot of SGs, your ideas are greatly appreciated. It may be cheaper to buy this, but it would be less fun.

I think that the top being some type of harder bit still slightly resilient plastic would be the way to go. Could also roll with the "real" brass bases. Could add weight in the middle if needed depending on the density of the plastic selected.

And, I want a set of 10 if you can make it work.

Yeah. Find someone that reloads. Make some up with cotton ball in place of the powder. Use a normal wad and shot charge. Clearly mark as dummies and you are good to go. I sealed the top of mine with glue hoping to increase the durability.