Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Wildly inaccurate W/O flash hider

Sarge

Why would an AR be spot on and shooting tight groups but be all over the target when you remove a standard flash hider and shoot with nothing on the end of the barrel?

I heard this conversation going on tonight at the club and I am intrigued. Harmonics? Gas direction?

Not on a standard A2 flash hider. It would be almost impossible to build anything up as there is no restriction to aide deposits and this is a .34 caliber STRAIGHT BORE.. I could see an up or down component, but "wildly inaccurate" no! Now if it was a short M4 barrel with a pinned flash hide that was monkey handed off .....he'll yeah!

FYI these were seasoned precision and long range rifle shooters. The gun would group again if he put the hider back on and just hand tightened it. took it back off and the group expanded. Sounded like he did the test repeatedly. Keep in mind I don't know a thing about precision rifle but it seems the gun shot X'x with the hider but expanded to the 8 ring without it. Hits were at mostly to the left as well.. I have no idea how big of a group that is.

Barrel Harmonics, I'm thinking. If he's shooting reloads that are tuned for that gun to give accuracy (or selected a factory ammo thus gives the best accuracy in that gun) then changing anything like barrel pressure points, barrel weight (weight on end of barrel) etc.

there are two variables: the flash hider itself (gas redirection) and the weight on the barrel (barrel harmonics). A more appropriate test would be to remove the flash-hider and replace it with a thread-protector of exactly equal weight, then test group size.

I have some factory ammo that will shoot off to the left slightly compared to other ammo that shoots slightly more to the right. Who knows? It's a game of experimentation.

Edited by SlowShooter