Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA "Micro" Class? How to make it more real.

swhiteh3

I have found that the common thread among shooting sports is that they all can help gun handling skills. All shooting sports have their rules, but none of them hamper your ability to improve your gun handling skills in some way.

I compete using a revolver and have found that my trigger control and gun handling skills using revolvers and pistols have both improved. The benefit that I have found in shooting IDPA is that I have had the opportunity to shoot from cars, trucks, and minivans which provided me the chance to experience what shooting from those situations would be like.

I have yet to find any shooting sport that I like all of the rules for, but all of those I have participated in have provided me the opportunity to improve my gun handling skills.

The opportunity to participate in any shooting sport is about what you make of it. You simply take the good with the bad as far as rules go, and safely enjoy your chance to send rounds downrange as accurately and efficiently as you can.

The new Not For Competition division could be utilized to create whatever is desired in the way of a "real gun" requirement. While I think NFC will mostly be used to allow new shooters to compete with a non-compliant gun ("Sure, you can shoot your compensated .380 today"), I'll use it to create my own divisions (Full Power Ammo division, Doesn't Fit in the IDPA Box division, Stoke Your Mags to their Physical Capacity division, etc.), and encourage people to shoot them.

It would be easy to use NFC to create a Real Carry Gun division. BUG equipment rules are pretty close to what I'd want, but BUG still requires five-round strings, no timed reloads, etc., and you could use NFC to allow BUG-legal guns, but within a normal match. When we have done BUG side stages, it's often the case that people do not have legal holsters, five or six mags, etc., but if the division were offered consistently, rather than just as side stages, or one-off opportunities, people might get the necessary gear.

In a lot of ways, the BUG course of fire rules - five shot strings, no reloads - are probably more "realistic" than the usual competition rules. We had a BUG-only match, with fourteen, 5-round stages, and it was good fun.

8.2.7. Not For Competition
8.2.7.1. IDPA encourages shooters to practice their gun handling skills with commonly carried firearms. Many everyday carry firearms do not fit into the 5 competition divisions.
8.2.7.2. IDPA allows clubs to add a “Not for Competition” scoring division for Tier 1 matches only. This allows calibers smaller than 9mm, carry optics, and other pistols which do not fit into the 5 competition divisions to participate in local club matches.
8.2.7.3. All other IDPA equipment rules apply for holsters and loading device holders as well as their placement on the body. Match Directors also have the option to allow junior shooters with .22 rimfire firearms to begin strings at low ready in lieu of requiring a holster.
8.2.7.4. All IDPA membership rules apply.
8.2.7.5. Clubs are not required to implement this provision, and Match Directors are allowed discretion with implementation so that match quality remains high.