Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting 9 major out of a 38sc gun ?

sandrooney

I wonder how the throat will hold up with the 9mm bullet not being snugged up to the bore like the longer loaded rounds....(1.165 versus 1.235)

I know accuracy suffers greatly when you shoot standard length 9mm in a 9 SC chambered gun.....Gun functions fine but accuracy was horrible at 25 yds.

I know it will work in a pinch, but it probably is not the best long term situation....from what I have been told by gunsmiths....

DougC

I wonder how the throat will hold up with the 9mm bullet not being snugged up to the bore like the longer loaded rounds....(1.165 versus 1.235)

Don't think there is going to be a problem there. Even with the .07 difference the bullet is still well within the freebore (is that even a correct term in a pistol?). Basically what I'm saying is that the bullet will reside between the datum reference (or shoulder or whatever you want to call it) and the rifling. Not really any difference here between the 38 and the 9.

There is actually a lot of discussion on headspacing off of the extractor with regard to 45ACP. 45ACP cases generally *shrink* after multiple reloads and are frequently not long enough to properly headspace at the case mouth as they are designed to. This isn't a problem at all. Here is an excerpt from a thread I just read:

"This is because the 1911 pistol features "controlled feed." That is, the cartridge being stripped out of the magazine slides up the slide's breechface and under the extractor claw long before it ever fully chambers. If the cartridge is too short, it will actually "headspace" on the extractor claw! The extractor will hold it in its proper position as you prepare to fire it."

You may headspace off the extractor in your single stack and don't even know it.

Bottom line, *I* believe shooting 9major our of a 38sc barrel is safe and will not damage your gun in any way. You have to make the choice for yourself.

Well, Chris, et. Al.,

Yesterday at the range I fired a 9mm out of my SV 38SC. Loaded only one round. It fired and extracted fine.

Loaded three rounds in the mag. Fired one round and it failed to extract.

Racked the round out, fired a new round and it failed to extract again.

Someone, I trust suggested putting an Aftec in the gun. MIght do that before this weekend and give it a try.