Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breech Face erosion already

PaulW

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest looking at the Tula primers. It appears your getting some blow back around the primer pocket and Tula primers have been know to be corrosive.

I have never heard that Tula/Wolf primers are corrosive from any source. I have gone through more than 30,000 without any issues, other than 3 defective ones. Blowback around a loose primer pocket would have nothing to do with the primer itself but the nasty brass.

I have only heard they are corrosive but admit no personal experience as I have never used Tula. However there must be leakage around the primer as I can't imagine the action of the round sliding up the breach face causing such errosion, unless the slide has not been hardened.

Edited by Azoneonly

I don'tthink the problem is with the primers. I have used them for major loads and have no signs of erosion. The Tula primers are the go to primer of the bench rest shootersso they must be good. But the rifle primers could be different.l

Well although it took longer than expected the STI Trubor has much better workmanship this time. This is not even considering the breech face erosion I experienced. STI said that the hardness was within their spec and they do not believe the pistol was defective. They did replace the slide at no cost, which again I am very thankful and appreciative to STI. I have to now go back through it and do my tweaks and adjustments, which is cool with me as I like to do it and I know how I want to set it up. I am gonna take a picture of the breech face now, and then after every match or practice session just to have a log of it. Will keep you posted.

Good to hear you are back up and running! And with better assembly tolerances.

You would think it was asking too much when paying 3k plus for a gun to have it perform properly and be fit correctly (sarcasm)

But the main thing is that it functions well :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well although it took longer than expected the STI Trubor has much better workmanship this time. This is not even considering the breech face erosion I experienced. STI said that the hardness was within their spec and they do not believe the pistol was defective. They did replace the slide at no cost, which again I am very thankful and appreciative to STI. I have to now go back through it and do my tweaks and adjustments, which is cool with me as I like to do it and I know how I want to set it up. I am gonna take a picture of the breech face now, and then after every match or practice session just to have a log of it. Will keep you posted.

Paul, I am glad they stepped up. I was worried that they would not. But, thats the thing about karma, and you banked some karma helping me with all the defects in my new Trubor... TWICE!

Edited by ramairbrc

Ha, thanks Bob, glad I could help. Probably would have been only once had I not been on pain meds from having all four wisdom teeth pulled...lol. The fit off the new parts are much much better.