Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to IPSC your criticism please

chipdouglas

Hello all,

My name is jeff I'm very new to this wonderful sport. I just got started last Aug in the sport here in canada and i love it. It has been a long winter awaiting the opportunity to get back out side again and train, the anticipation of spring is building. I joined the bullseye league here this winter to keep shooting and work on shot placment and seeing/calling my shots. This site has been a great help in information.

I have a couple videos from two of the stages i shot last fall which i would like your critique on. This was my first USPSA match and i borrowed a gun from a fellow shooter, actually the gun owner is the RO (thus the encouragement during the bigger stage). He is also my mentor along with another gentleman. They are a wealth of knowledge.

Please tell me what you think and things you see i should to focus on for this year coming. I have a strong desire to become good at this sport and all ur help is greatly appreciated.

second stage of the day was also the biggest one of match. had some issues mid go with now seating a mag fully: stage 2

This was probably the 5TH Stage i shot: stage 4

post-42817-0-17094900-1359951574_thumb.j

Edited by chipdouglas

Hi Jeff, I’m Glenn. First off, I just finished watching the Super Bowl, and I've been drinking since 5pm, so I might be a little harsh, so apologize in advance!

1 – Get rid of the music! Some people like it, but for me, if I want to listen to some tunes, I’ll grab my iPod. When watching shooting videos, I want to be able to hear everything. When you are trying to learn from your videos and have people critique them, one of the things you listen for is your shooting cadence. With the music, it is very hard to hear that. Love the song you picked, just don't want to hear it when watching a shooting video.

2 - You need to find a camera guy that has a steadier hand, and someone that is willing to get closer to the action. ( trust me…I still bust my buddy’s balls over his videos of me at the Florida Open in 2010! I get queasy watching them because his hand was shaking so much!! ) The stages you show don't seem to be traps where a cameraman can get caught in a bad situation angle-wise. Tell your buddy to get a better grip on the camera and get closer. If the range prohibits it, or the RO is being a hard ass, not much you can do. But you said the RO was your mentor, so he should understand. As long as the camera guy is safe, he can get a lot closer to you which would enable you to see your shooting a lot better.

3 - On the first stage, you need to watch that 180! In the video, it looks like you flirted with it very close. Too close. It could have been the camera angle, but maybe not. It appears when you go from the far left you do a reload, is that correct? At this point in your skills, you should stuff that reload within the first one to two steps, focus on a good solid reload and THEN take off running. You are jogging and reloading, which is taking way too long. PLUS, when you finish your reload, it appears to me,( and again, because of the camera angle ) that your gun is pointing right down the 180. What you need to do is make sure that gun is pointing downrange. Since you're a lefty, you need to rotate your strong hand, palm side down and point the gun downrange. That will enable you to have gun pointing safely downrange. Either way, find a way to run to the right with the gun pointing downrange safely. For us righties, its easy, the gun wants to naturally point that way, for you leftys, its a little harder. Normally for a stage where you start in the middle, since you’re a lefty, I would go right first, then left, that way when you make the long run, you are pointing down range. However, since the far right side forced you to go all the way up range, you were forced to go left first. You just need to be very aware of the muzzle.

4 - If the software you are using to edit the videos enables you to, get rid of the make ready routine. When watching videos of other people shoot, it’s a lot more enjoyable if the when we hit play, we are taken right to the start signal. The 20 seconds on the second video of you jaw-jackin' with the RO makes me want to hit stop and move on to someone else’s video. Windows Movie Maker is pretty easy to use, usually preinstalled on a PC, and allows you to trim the videos. If you are using a Mac, I have no idea.

5 – On the second video it appears you are bending forward a little much at the waist. Maybe take a little more of an athletic stance. By that I mean a little more bend at the knees, straighter back…does that make sense? Also, after you shoot the first couple of targets from the start position, you run up to the barrels with the gun straight out in front of you. You will find it quicker in the future if you keep both hands on the gun, but kind of pull it back towards your body. It all depends on the distance you are moving. Long distance pull the gun in, move fast, if it’s a short distance, keep the gun up in a good shooting position. That distance in that video was kind of right in between, so you need to go with what feels better, but I’m guessing a little closer to your body. What was really good on that stage was the longer shots at the start, you took your time, got your shots, then when you moved up, you hosed the close targets. That is good (provided you got your hits ). It shows you are not shooting over your ability. Keep that up.

6 –Great job on the Star!! I’ve seen a lot more seasoned shooters than you have a lot more trouble than that. In fact, our local match last week I saw two B shooters throw a lot more rounds at the start than you did. Good on you.

You said this was your first match. Overall I would say very good job. As you shoot/practice more, you will get better in all respects. It appears you are starting off the right way.

Take everything you just read with a grain of salt. I’m a lowly B Production shooter. I don’t know everything……not even close!!! You asked for opinions, and I just happened to be the first one to respond!!

<<6 –Great job on the Star!! I’ve seen a lot more seasoned shooters than you have a lot more trouble than that. In fact, our local match last week I saw two B shooters throw a lot more rounds at the start than you did. Good on you.>>

I resemble that remark!

Learn to be aware of your muzzle, at this point that should be #1 on your list of things to do.

Spend a lot of time on Dry Fire and get the basics down. Draw, reloads moving left, reloads moving right, getting the gun up into position, getting the gun on target, etc. Steve Andersons book helps get you on the path. That stuff has to become fully automatic if you are going to see progress. It's a little boring but shure pays off when you are in a match.

theres both stages nice n clean for you guys. im sorry about the clarity of the videos all i have so far and they were done with a camera.

very good point cz i would never have even thought about the 180 rule and my running to the right that fence i'm running along is the line of scrimmiage of you will so you are very right in your observation. i will remember that. when it comes to moving far distances your saying i shoudn't take my weak hand off the gun but run with it against my chest kinda tucked in...... that sounds like it would be unbalanced and uncomfortable but i will try it before i knock it. thank you for your great points hope the cleaner video helps with the cadence for you.

on the topic of dry fire what do you guys think about getting a metal slide airsoft gun as a option to practicing for dryfire... im currently not able to practice with my gun at home due to all the stupid transportation rules in canada the 'heavier' airsoft idea seemed like a viable solution for now but it is not my gun ...... it will not break the same as my gun........ so maybe it would bring in bad habits...???

i wondered if someone was gonna comment on my long arms in the port lol..thanks!!!...... my mentor was mentioning that to me too..... there was a 8 inch plate in between two of those blue barrells opposite side of the course and a target low right inside the port that i thought i needed to get right in on i think a lot of what i need to work on is confidence n its coming slowly. and all you guys are good at building that thanks i was super nervous on the star it was way easier that it looked but i kept running it over and over in my head before the stage what i'm sure helped.

thanks to everyone for you help....... :) Edited by chipdouglas

Hey Chip,

when it comes to moving far distances your saying i shoudn't take my weak hand off the gun but run with it against my chest kinda tucked in...... that sounds like it would be unbalanced and uncomfortable but i will try it before i knock it.

I think you're referring to this:

You will find it quicker in the future if you keep both hands on the gun, but kind of pull it back towards your body. It all depends on the distance you are moving. Long distance pull the gun in, move fast, if it’s a short distance, keep the gun up in a good shooting position. That distance i

n that video was kind of right in between, so you need to go with what feels better, but I’m guessing a little closer to your body.

and I think the point CZ is trying to make is that for short distances between arrays, you can probably keep both hands on the gun and only partially dismount. For longer distances, it's probably more natural to let go with the weak hand, run aggressively and then re-mount as you approach to engage the next target.

What is definitely true is that you need to try both for yourself to see what defines short vs. long and what yields the best results for you.

lumpy i agree with what you've said. i know i'm new this sport and i have tonnes to learn. its great having all the helpful folks who are willing to provide some direction

Now if all the damn white stuff would just melt and go away i can get outside and practice it :)

cheers n thank you :)

If you can't dry fire with your real gun get an airsoft as close as possible and use it. I use airsoft a lot to practice when its cold, dark, wet, etc. Sight alignment and trigger control are hard to learn so the more times you bring the gun up, get the sites set and call a shot the better.

You need a shot timer as well. If you have a smartphone there are apps or just buy one. Then use the buzzer and par times to try different things. Not to hard to practice a draw, move across the room, set up on a target then see what feels good to you. I tend to dismount (take my support hand off the gun) for anything over 3 or 4 steps. I pull the gun back in close for most any movement more than a foot or two. You should have one place to bring the gun to. I try to draw to that place and push out to the targets, when I move and pull the gun back I try to pull the gun back to that same place. Break your draw into 3 steps with the third one pushing the gun out to the target and getting the sights set. Then use that as your comfortable place to bring your gun when you are moving short distances or indexing on targets where you have to swing more than a foot or so.

Define the 180 in your practice room and be aware of your muzzle all the time, airsoft, real gun, etc.

You need to get the basic stuff down so you don't have to think about any of it.

If you can't dry fire with your real gun get an airsoft as close as possible and use it. I use airsoft a lot to practice when its cold, dark, wet, etc. Sight alignment and trigger control are hard to learn so the more times you bring the gun up, get the sites set and call a shot the better.

I have come to the conclusion that this is going to be an invaluable tool to me. For me to be able to accomplish this.

... need to get the basic stuff down so you don't have to think about any of it.

I'm thinking a blowback Airsoft KTW Or Toyko 1911 model is the way to go to match my para 45. espicially with the sight aquisition/front sight part of the equation. I'm finding this quite difficult as soon as my trigger breaks and the gun kicks i seem to lose focus on the site every time, its frustrating.

I've been therorizing about front sight focus. Is it possible that since my gun is factory still. I have more front sight rise then say someone who has changed springs and perhaps guide rod and balanced recoil.........it just seems like such an uncontrolled violent act when the gun goes off n it happens so quickly. Is it possible to actually watch my sight rise and fall.........

Anyway perhaps that conversation is for another thread

Chip, when you change mags TILT the gun and keep it at eye level so you can see the magwell, and index the mag properly on reloads. That is costing you huge time by dropping the gun from eye level, and then reloading and bringing the gun back up on target.

You are losing more than 1.5 seconds per reload in all the videos you just posted.

Next, count targets to plan reloads. If you hit A/C, you CANNOT shoot fast enough to make up that C even if you make an A zone hit, plus it messes up your planned mag changes because in Canadia we only have 10 rounders. Shoot the target, then move on to the next (it's like taking a picture, once you have snapped the picture, you are done, GET ON THE NEXT TARGET ASAP!)

Next, you need a bit of dryfire practice. Your shoulder is leading too much when drawing (it should be close to motionless... you are ''hitching up'' when drawing)

Foot movement looks pretty good, don't change that until you address these issues first. And yes your 90's or 180's as the case may be, watch it. I also saw your finger dangerously (10.6 time) close to the trigger on a magchange when your instructor was pressuring you to move. Yet another reason to keep your gun up at shooting level.

Why doesn't your ATT cover you to take the gun home to dryfire practice??

Edited by Got Juice?

Next, count targets to plan reloads. If you hit A/C, you CANNOT shoot fast enough to make up that C even if you make an A zone hit, plus it messes up your planned mag changes because in Canadia we only have 10 rounders. Shoot the target, then move on to the next (it's like taking a picture, once you have snapped the picture, you are done, GET ON THE NEXT TARGET ASAP!)

Could you explain this a little differently i'm not sure i got it.... are you saying if i'm a A C shooter ( which is pretty much the case ) i should shoot slower and get A A or shoot faster to get to the next target accepting what i've hit to lower my stage times? I think u mean the latter but just want to clarify

my ATT is set to my parents where i keep my gun. My partner does not want the gun in the house.

thank you for your post i really like this constructive criticism

Could you explain this a little differently i'm not sure i got it.... are you saying if i'm a A C shooter ( which is pretty much the case ) i should shoot slower and get A A or shoot faster to get to the next target accepting what i've hit to lower my stage times? I think u mean the latter but just want to clarify

my ATT is set to my parents where i keep my gun. My partner does not want the gun in the house.

thank you for your post i really like this constructive criticism

There are some other Canucks on the site as well.

And yes, once you shoot your target move on. If you shoot an alpha charlie, don't put a third round into the target trying to score higher. It negatively affects your time. 2 shots per target, then move (transition to your next target).

Yes you are too deep into the ports. Moving 1 foot closer to the target costs time in and out of ports. You have an optic. +/-1 foot will not help accuracy, it actually hurts time (in and out costs about 1.5 seconds per ocurrance)

Other than what others have already mentioned, you are well on your way, great shooting.

And one small detail. Once you do place two shots on target, MOVE.... Don't admire the shots, that timer is still running.