Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What am I doing wrong?

Philo_Beddoe

I recently purchased a CZ tactical sport in 40 to shoot in limited. For the past 4 years I shot a 9mm cz 75/shadow in production and I am "B" class in production. I installed a new trigger on my tacitcal sport and adjusted the pre-travel (take up) enough to make sure the trigger reset and I adjusted the over travel to make sure it wasnt making contact with the sear. When I dry fire the trigger always resets.

I start shooting matches and have a problem with the trigger not reseting. I go to range and practice bill drills and have no problems with the trigger reseting, however in a match I keep having problems with the trigger reseting. The tacitcal sport is much thicker then my shadow, and my finger has to move farther forward to reset the trigger with the tactical sport. I was thinking that in matches the problem is that I have "trained" my trigger finger to only move far enough to reset the shadow and its causing me to short stroke on the tactical sport. Has anyone else experienced this or could it be a technical problem with the gun I am just over looking? Thanks

Edited by Philo_Beddoe

200 veiws and only 1 response - interesting

PB - I think you are going to have to conscieously take yourself off of "auto pilot" mode when the buzzer goes off. You are going to have to start "thinking" about your trigger reset. I did not say worry.

about it. Think about the mechanics of it.

Yes this may slow you down for a few stages, or a match. But you will get past it quickly. We all go through quirks like this with new guns or mod changes sometimes. This is the price we pay. Sometimes

it's worth it, sometimes not.

Good Luck

Edited by Reinz

In my less than 2 years of experience, I've bounced from 1911 style 9mm, .40 and .45 then to a CZ Shadow. Each time, it took lots and lots of rounds to get used to the trigger. Estimating 5,000 rounds. Don't know if others experience the same. Not releasing the trigger enough at matches showed up for me each time - much more than at practice.

I suspect short stroking on your part. If you have any doubts, let someone else familiar with that gun shoot it & see if they can cause a Non Reset. During dry fire & live fire practice, in the front of your conscious thought, RELEASE. Release. release. Before long, everytime your finger goes on the trigger, you will release it when you need to.

MLM

I am not sure about the CZ guns but on the EAA/Tanfo guns if you set the pretravel too close to the reset point you will have failure to reset issues when you shoot, but it will work perfectly when you dry fire it. Since the CZ pistols are based on the same basic trigger/sear/hammer design as the EAA/Tanfo guns you might be running into this issue. Put in a little bit of extra pretravel to see if it makes a difference.

Another thing to consider is that most people rely on the trigger return spring to actually push their finger back past the reset point. Then when they put a really light trigger return spring in the gun they get excessive trigger freeze/reset issues while attempting to shoot fast. A good way to test if you have enough trigger return spring tension (Unloaded of course) is to pull the trigger back and hold it back, rack the slide, then simply relax your trigger finger. Even though your finger is still laying on the trigger there should be enough spring tension to push your finger (and trigger) back far enough to reset. If you have to physically row your trigger finger back in order to reset the trigger then your trigger return spring is probably too light.

Another thing to consider is that most people rely on the trigger return spring to actually push their finger back past the reset point. Then when they put a really light trigger return spring in the gun they get excessive trigger freeze/reset issues while attempting to shoot fast.

That is exactly what happened when I, as a Glock shooter, tried to shoot a 1911 quickly, and the trigger didn't help me back to the reset point.

I took it to the range tonight and shot some bill drills and double's without adjusting the trigger and had no problems. I think in matches I just go into "robot mode" and start working the trigger like its my shadow causing me to short stroke. Thanks for the advise for those who replied.