Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

An autocomp 9mm load

nmrpilot

Thought I would share my favorite 9mm load to date. 124 xtp's over 6.8 grains of autocomp. OAL is 1.125. Five rounds over the chrono clocked 1,336 average out of a 4 inch Kimber barrel. ES was 27. Softer recoil impulse than factory Underwood 124 +p+ loads that clocked 1,300 even.

What are you trying to accomplish with that load? Seems kind of hot for just casual shooting yet under powered for making major. I don't know that I would feed a gun a steady diet of +P+ loads that was not purpose built for that.

Duplicate carry loads for practice. I use an ismi 18lb spring or a wilson 20 when shooting these. I post here because i know there are a number of folks like myself that read here for this kind of info. Posting loads this hot on most other sights can really get a war going. I am seriously considering jumping in and getting a 9mm built for major use. I need one good hobby and really enjoy shooting/reloading. Not new to it. Regarding the load it is softer compared to the hs-6, AA7, and Underwood loads I have tried. If I try major Im not far from it with the Autocomp.

My attorney advised me not to use Reloads in my carry gun. He said that in the civil case that will follow the criminal case if there was one, the claim would be that your intent was clean when you started pouring powder in the case. My adivce stick to factory for carry use.

For practice and plinking tone it down to 5.2gr for about 135pf.

Its not a great production load, if you want a powder for that, that is also capable of major try IMR7625 at 4.6 gr w/125 for Minor.

I would never carry reloads for defense purposes. Sorry for any confusion on that. Factory ammo only. I just wanted to develop a duplicate to practice with from time to time. Considering the responsiblity one takes upon themselves when CCW its probably a good idea to remain proficient in case you really need to use force one day.

CocoBolo, Im thinking of firing a few more and measuring case heads before and after. What kind of numbers do you want to see when you do this? Is there an absolute max measurement or is the change more important?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking in that post?

Its another way to check what kind of psi your running by measuring how much the case head has expanded after firing. I have read about this before but couldnt remember what the acceptable range was. Just something else to try really. My fired cases look absolutely fine really. Especially for once fired cases.