Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger finger trouble...

I clearly need some advice. I am a 62 year old shooter with a cross dominance problem, limited competitive experience, and a strange "finger" issue trying to up my game. 10 years ago, I broke my trigger finger pretty bad skiing. Doc set it and it healed OK, but I wasn't shooting at the time. I have been back shooting for a few months hoping to find something my aging body can do to keep the juices flowing - my knees won't allow any more skiing. Anyhow, my trigger finger, at rest in a 'cupped' position, wants to lay over top of my middle two fingers, and when gripping the Glock, it comes down into the trigger area from above, crosses the trigger face diagonally, then wants to rub against the trigger guard pretty aggressively. After 4 or five magazines, the inside corner of my trigger finger is sore as hell. No question it is from the break, and as the Doc said, I was lucky that was all the limitation I had.

It happens on every pistol I have shot, and most rifles, but the wider trigger guard is especially troublesome.

I could alter the trigger guard. File some away, or try to heat up the plastic and twist it away, but that seems dicey to me at best and will alter my holster fit

Today, completely on a lark, I shot two clips with MY MIDDLE finger - leaving my index, (trigger) finger in the 'ready' or 'safe' position above the trigger area, pointing at the target, just at the bottom of the slide.......

It worked REALLY WELL! I shot better groups than I have in weeks, felt more comfortable, confident and simply could not believe I hadn't tried it before!

I am inclined to continue firing this way and trying to compete this way, but wonder if I am missing something, or if it will be viewed negatively by Range Officers or Match Officials.....

Am I nuts, or what?

I don't believe you are nuts at all! Let the RO know you have a problem and what it is and how you shoot so that he/she will not be surprised. If they have a new shooter program or practice night go to that before match day so that they are used to you.

Good luck, have fun and stay safe,

Richard

I clearly need some advice. I am a 62 year old shooter with a cross dominance problem, limited competitive experience, and a strange "finger" issue trying to up my game. 10 years ago, I broke my trigger finger pretty bad skiing. Doc set it and it healed OK, but I wasn't shooting at the time. I have been back shooting for a few months hoping to find something my aging body can do to keep the juices flowing - my knees won't allow any more skiing. Anyhow, my trigger finger, at rest in a 'cupped' position, wants to lay over top of my middle two fingers, and when gripping the Glock, it comes down into the trigger area from above, crosses the trigger face diagonally, then wants to rub against the trigger guard pretty aggressively. After 4 or five magazines, the inside corner of my trigger finger is sore as hell. No question it is from the break, and as the Doc said, I was lucky that was all the limitation I had.

Am I nuts, or what?

No. And BTW, I never broke my trigger finger and I had EXACTLY the same problem trying to learn to shoot my G35. It's because the bottom of the trigger guard is flattened off. On mine, I removed the trigger assembly and filed the inside of the trigger guard and smoothed it to accomodate my finger better..... but it still rubs on that same edge as yours does.

It's one of multiple reasons I retired the glock to the safe.

Am I nuts, or what?

No. And BTW, I never broke my trigger finger and I had EXACTLY the same problem trying to learn to shoot my G35. It's because the bottom of the trigger guard is flattened off. On mine, I removed the trigger assembly and filed the inside of the trigger guard and smoothed it to accomodate my finger better..... but it still rubs on that same edge as yours does.

It's one of multiple reasons I retired the glock to the safe.

Yeah...I am just reluctant to modify the guard - what do you shoot now?

Another epiphany today was that with the trigger finger pointing at the target along the slide bottom I seemed to have a steadier grip in the horizontal. My index finger seems to act like a rudder - squeezing the gun between thumb and index finger seemed to steady the G17 from wobbling on the aim. Also, by using the ring and little finger in the bottom two finger grooves firmly, I seemed to find the dot quicker and just a slight squeezing of those bottom fingers helped me adjust the vertical aim while eliminating flinch from fear of slide bite. I also find that a cupped support hand under the mag well felt more comfortable than a traditional 2 handed grip. I can't possibly be the first guy to try this, but I think in time this might allow me to shoot better.

I shot sporting clays with a guy that was missing part of his trigger finger and he did what you are doing. His partial index finger was laid against the frame of his shotgun and he used his middle finger on the trigger. By the way he is an excellent sot.

All good ideas! I have taped my finger but I lose 'feel' for the trigger. Moleskin on the trigger guard is a hell of a good idea and I am going to try that. In fact I think with layering, I can contour the inside of the guard at an angle my index finger will like.

I shot 5 mags today using the middle finger and I am getting used to the grip, but it takes some concentration to position the grip - getting it just right is not fast and involves being careful where the trigger finger is positioned. My Serpa holster actually positions my index finger best, but keeping the last two fingers down low is going to take some practice. I also seem to be griping harder with the last two fingers and my hand gets to cramping although I doubt that will be an issue on any course of fire I have seen. I also modified my stance to more of a sideways stance than a feet square Weaver type which seems to accommodate the 'cupped' support hand better. I think this may just be helping control the pistol at the bottom of the grip since I have extra fingers up high.

I can't thank you all enough. For the first time in weeks I think I might be able to overcome this. My respects to you all for the help.

• 3 weeks later...