Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mil-spec vs commercial buffer tube?

Chriznak

I chose the size that fit my buttstock. Other than the difference in diameter, they are the same. No difference in quality.

Bill

Not quite true it depends on who made the commercial tube. They can be made with weaker and inferior materials or be out of spec in dimension. I prefer mil spec tubes.

Pat

Note that "mil spec" doesn't always mean "mil spec"... There are plenty of tubes out there with rolled threads and "mil spec" dimensions that are made of 6061 instead of 7075 aluminum, so they are not actually "mil spec" even though they claim to be.

The bottom line is buy from a name that you trust to stand behind their product and no one will be able to tell the difference between rolled threads and cut threads in a non-destructive blind "pepsi challenge". I am not willing to pay the premium for an actual mil spec 7075 buffer tube and I don't use my game guns as baseball bats so most of mine are commercial diameter tubes.

All of mine are commercial, and it's not because they are better or anything. A few of my ARs came with them and so when I upgraded my stocks, I didn't change them. Now that I have built a few, I just use the commercial since I want to keep it standardized with all my ARs. I have read that the "mil-spec" ones are better/stronger but I have not seen any evidence of that so it's hard to say. You can definitely tell the difference in the threads but that's not saying much.

I just use the commercial since I want to keep it standardized with all my ARs. I have read that the "mil-spec" ones are better/stronger but I have not seen any evidence of that so it's hard to say. You can definitely tell the difference in the threads but that's not saying much.

Same here. My first was the mil-spec size so my other two are as well. For what most of us do with our rifles it's not going to make a difference. If Commercial is what is available then grab it.

I chose the size that fit my buttstock. Other than the difference in diameter, they are the same. No difference in quality.

Bill

There is no difference in quality between a commercial (6061) and a Colt (7075) receiver extension other than size?

I went with a mil-spec tube on all of my AR-15s due to the wider variety of buttstocks. You'll find buttstocks with versions to fit both and buttstocks only available for mil-spec, but I've yet to run across a buttstock only available for a commercial tube.