Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone ever had a bad batch of primers?

Bensonr

Long story short..........I went to the range today with my son. We shot a total of about 400 rounds of 9mm. Because of the way my reloads were boxed I was able to tetermine when I loaded each box. Since I don't focus on speed, I usually load 100 at a time and open a new tray of primers for each batch of 100. I have loaded about 10,000 rounds through this Dillon 550 over its lifetime. I have never had an issue other than human error.....that human would be ME.

Today, one box of 100 had 34 fail to fire rounds. I have never heard of such a thing. The primers were struck hard, with a Glock 34 and then again with a CZ-75 with an extended firing pin. Not one of the primers ignited in either gun. No squibs........nothin. I brought them home to a friend who is a veteran member of USPSA. He pulled one apart and found everything as it should be. He put the empty case in his gun and tried to ignite the primer with no luck.

I bought these primers as part of two boxes (2000 total). The first 1300 were fine, and then this issue. The boxes were from a retailer. The boxes were new in appearance, clean and dry. If it matters, they were Winchester SPP. I have never had any other problems with this brand of primers.

Has anyone else ever heard of this type incident with new primers?

Thanks for your input.

Hi primers, Oil contamination or wet primers (wet when struck) could cause this.

Have you deprimed one to verify the anvil is in the primer and centered?

On the hi primers, if your Glock is hitting the center of the primers deeply this could deform the anvil and another strike probably wouldn't fire it either (no compression).

Update on situation. I spoke to a very nice rep. at Winchester this morning...actually a real person. Without any hesitation he provided paid postage and asked me to mail all of the failed cartridges to him for testing. He did not have much of an explanation, be he was quite curious, as I am. He said he has heard of 1 out every thousand sometimes, but never 34 out of 100.

I would love to hear if they get back to you on that. I too would think this has to be contamination of some kind. I've been using Winchester for many, many years and don't recall any dead ones. The only time I saw dead or had any trouble was a short stint in Magtech land. And upon inquiring to THAT company about my troubles I was hastily blown off and went right back to Winchester just as quickly!

I had some trouble with a batch of Winchester primers a littel over a year ago. Large pistol primers, different problem.

Winchester had to determine what really caused the problem but they stood by their product and exchanged everything that was dtermined to be defective.

They will eventually send you a letter and/or call you to inform you about their findings.

I wasn't trashing Winchester primers. I know guys that have been using them since the dawn of age without a hickup. But you how we competition shooters are, if we shot our best match ever chewing cinamon gum, then by golly, we start chewing cinamon gum at every match and freak out if we leave it at home. :)

Well the gentlemen from Winchester called and left a message yesterday about the test they performed on my primers. He said the primers showed to have moisture in them. This is what caused the FTF. He said the impact to the primer was fine, but the moisture was the problem. He stated the contamination would have happened after leaving their factory. He is sending a certificate for more primers. Thay is nice of him, but I need primers, I have no place to redeem the certificate. I still cant find any primers.

I will be very carefull how I store my compenents from this point forward.