Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1.2.1 Nook Root MUCH EASIER

ctay

I'm going to go with ctay on this, the graphical nook manager was far easier for us, and now that Practiscore has released the numeric keyboard patch (unverified by me) it's a breeze. The rooting procedure is far simpler, and I found the capabilities (reprogram buttons, remove B&N apps, emergency "oh crap" restore function, etc. to be quite handy without going overboard.

Here's our entire procedure:

Charge Nook fully

Turn it on, register:

Connect to wifi

adamson_alan@hotmail.com, password = saratoga

skip credit card

Connect USB

Copy nook_1_2_update.ZIP to the current directorory

Go into the screensavers folder, make a new folder called "shooting", copy screensaver.png over

Go up 1 level, then open the My Files directory and copy over Practiscore.apk

Eject USB device in Windows, wait a couple minutes. Firmware updates to 1.2.1, reboots.

Shut down, insert SD card with NookManager, and start it up.

Go through rooting process, shut off the B&N apps along the way. Exit when done.

Eject the card, it will reboot.

If prompted select ReLaunch, which is the main file manager utility, and check the default.

Go into My Files, install Practiscore.apk

Press the bottom-middle icon, which is Programs. Run Nook Touch Mod Manager

Configure Mod Options

All 3 options should be checked ON. Go back.

Modify Button Actions

Set first option, “n button” to Practiscore (scroll down to page 3 or 4)

Go into Programs again, this time run Settings. Tap Screen, then Screensaver, and select Shooting.

Done.

Edited by jester121

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that you have the microsd card properly written with the root program pop that sucker into the NST. Power off and power back on. The NST will show "NookManager loading..." Just wait.

I just bought a new nook to try this (It's charging so I haven't tried anything yet) and went back and re-read this. Why would I not want to turn on wireless? I need wireless in order to run a match, right?

Don't know. I wouldn't think so, but I'm hopefully going to find out, I'm trying it now.

....so exactly how long does the backup take (that formats unused space on the microsd card) which the screen procedure recommends you do before rooting the box? I'm at 10 minutes and still running....

...Never mind, bailed out of the backup; had to press a whole lot of buttons repeatedly to get it to reboot. The backup doesn't work.

The rooting process, however, does work, and it works with 1.2.1. And I installed practiscore 1.1.2 via dropbox and it works, AND gives me a proper numeric keyboard for time entry. Eugene, if you're watching this, thank you. I didn't have to suffer with this problem, but I know others did. I'm sure they appreciate it.

However, the end result is not as polished as Chris Wren's end result. (Please understand in the following I don't mean to be overly critical or ungrateful. I just want to see the overall results and usability improved.)

I don't want to see this.

post-2179-0-58155000-1364435149_thumb.jp

That's a computer file manager. This doesn't tell me what I need to do. I'm just a shooter whose been handed a nook and I know practiscore, but I don't know how to get to it here. Even tapping on the "9 squares" at the bottom is not intuitive; someone has to explain it to me. Someone has to tell me to hit the "n" button to get practiscore. (Answered with a modified screensaver, shown in post further down)

Even if I hit the "9 squares", I don't want to see anything this busy:

post-2179-0-36232000-1364435239_thumb.jp

That's confusing, and I have fat fingers, and I'll hit the wrong thing because they're all scrunched together. (You can, with the favorite apps feature, see post further down)

I'd much rather just boot the device and see a single screen that has the apps on it in which I'm interested, like this:

post-2179-0-34054900-1364435266_thumb.jp

And I know instinctively to tap on the practiscore icon to start up the program. (You can, with the favorite apps feature, see post further down)

So is there any way to customize the nook manager rooting results to where I am presented with a simple screen with a couple of apps on it, instead of the built-in file manager that I get? I'm not saying nook manager isn't a very good rooting system; it is, and thank you very much. A whole lot of the propeller head stuff has been eliminated here. I'd just like the end result to be more intuitive and polished than it is. That is, the rest of the propeller head stuff needs to go away as well.

And if you've already rooted a fleet of nooks to Chris Wren's procedure or some other procedure, I'd say no, it's not worth going back and restoring to factory and rooting again. You won't gain anything additional that I can see.

Edited by wgnoyes

Just so we're clear, the choice of rooting packages has nothing to do with the time entry keyboard hassle. The B&N firmware update 1.2.1 caused the numeric keyboard issue. The latest version of practiscore 1.1.2 addresses this and restores the numeric keypad keyboard for time entry.

Followup (which answers some of my own concerns above) that I wrote to Chris Wren:

The file manager I've described in the nookmanager graphical root (misnomer; there are no graphics involved) is actually an android app called ReLaunch and starts when you boot the device.

I've found that you can go into the ReLaunch applications screen and long tap on an app to add it to a favorite apps list. Then back on the home page of the ReLaunch file manager (which seems to be permanently set to look at the sdcard slot), you can simply hit a button with a star icon on it at the bottom to show a screen showing just your designated favorite apps. (PS and dropbox for me.) If there is a way within ReLaunch to set it to where it brings up the favorite apps screen by default, then this becomes my new preferred rooting method. The rooting process was actually quite simple, it's a single step, and ran even with the latest bleeding edge 1.2.1 B&N firmware update.

And yes, I've the 'n' button set to launch PS and goto the ReLaunch "home" on a long press. My screen saver timeout setting is also set to the maximum 1 hour, so that shouldn't be a consideration either. And I modified my screensaver accordingly for this root.

post-2179-0-68800200-1364574847_thumb.jp

Edited by wgnoyes

Oh, this is interesting. The nookmgr rooting process won't continue if the battery is below 40% charged. And that's okay.

It's a bit conservative, but that's common. I know my smartphone won't do a firmware upgrade if there's less than 20 or 25% battery.

Two things I notice with this procedure.

1. I don't get the question after the first re-boot about "complete action using". Doesn't seem to affect functionality; the box still boots directly into ReLaunch.

2. When you install an app from a .apk file, initially you don't see the icon for the new app. Sometimes it just takes a little poking around in the system and they suddenly appear; other times you have to reboot again. Not a big deal.

Is there any way to have ReLaunch default to displaying the "favorite applications" page ("star" icon at the bottom of the main file manager screen to the right of the "9 squares" button) when you turn on the nook? That would eliminate one extra possibility of user confusion instead of being presented a file manager page with no clue of what to do next.

1. I don't get the question after the first re-boot about "complete action using". Doesn't seem to affect functionality; the box still boots directly into ReLaunch.

That's been hit or miss for me too, and I have no idea why. basically it's just a dialog box asking if you want to use Relaunch, or kick off the regular B&N home page. I suppose it's possible that on the ones where I did see the message, I'd forgotten the "Disable all B&N apps" step from my instructions. Anyhow...

2. When you install an app from a .apk file, initially you don't see the icon for the new app. Sometimes it just takes a little poking around in the system and they suddenly appear; other times you have to reboot again. Not a big deal.

Is there any way to have ReLaunch default to displaying the "favorite applications" page ("star" icon at the bottom of the main file manager screen to the right of the "9 squares" button) when you turn on the nook? That would eliminate one extra possibility of user confusion instead of being presented a file manager page with no clue of what to do next.

Our users should never see the relaunch screen, because the screensaver tells them to press the n button, and I'll have powered up the Nook and launched Practiscore before handing it to them for the initial sync. I'm thinking about affixing little labels to the front of the nook that say "When it doubt, press this n button".

I do like your idea for a custom home screen. I'll have a browse through the various settings menus tonight and see if I can find a simple way to set that.

I suppose. I've got my timeout set to the maximum 1 hour, so I don't see any of these going to sleep in the field, meaning its not really a consideration.... I guess. Also if I'm in practiscore and hit the power button to go to sleep, when I press 'n' to wake it back up, it goes back into ps where I left off.

I banged around in all the various menus in ReLaunch and didn't find anything promising for changing the home screen or default app Bill. A more knowledgeable (and motivated) person could certainly modify some android level files to make the Nook dance a jig, but I know my limitations.

• 9 months later...

Sorry for the hijack but this thread seemed the most related.

I did pretty much everything here. http://www.tinymicros.com/wiki/NOOK_Simple_Touch_%28NST%29_Rooting_For_Practiscore

So I have ADW launcher but I can't change the desktop to a home made one I made for our club. It used to be the Nook 'N' out of desperation I changed it to the ADW splash which was the only option the wallpaper picker gave me. Now it seems I'm stuck with that (unless I use backup and restore... I hope)

Any one have any insight on where to put wallpapers, not screensavers?

Wallpaper is a png file called “wallpaper” with no extension that goes in the nook as:

/data/data/com.android.settings/files/wallpaper

Edited by austex

Forget all this. Goto http://rootnscoreit.com, get THAT rooting package which Chris Wren wrote and root your nooks with it. It really is SILLY EASY to use, it will even reset your nook back to factory for you, and it makes all the background setting changes for you so that when done, you have a dedicated, ready to use scoring appliance. As far as I'm concerned, there IS NO OTHER rooting package that should even be considered anymore.

1. Get the microsd card image from the link at the top of the rootnscoreit.com page

2. Create the microsd card: http://rootnscoreit.com/express.html

3. Follow these steps to root your nook: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=183539&page=3#entry2033538

4. Perform some final steps to setup for wifi and range use: http://rootnscoreit.com/done.html

If you're balking at having to re-root, trust me on this, and try it with just one; it doesn't take that long. You'll want to re-root all the others after you've tried it and seen how simple it really is.

Edited by wgnoyes

Forget all this. Goto http://rootnscoreit.com, get THAT rooting package which Chris Wren wrote and root your nooks with it. It really is SILLY EASY to use, it will even reset your nook back to factory for you, and it makes all the background setting changes for you so that when done, you have a dedicated, ready to use scoring appliance. As far as I'm concerned, there IS NO OTHER rooting package that should even be considered anymore.

1. Get the microsd card image from the link at the top of the rootnscoreit.com page

2. Create the microsd card: http://rootnscoreit.com/express.html

3. Follow these steps to root your nook: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=183539&page=3#entry2033538

4. Perform some final steps to setup for wifi and range use: http://rootnscoreit.com/done.html

If you're balking at having to re-root, trust me on this, and try it with just one; it doesn't take that long. You'll want to re-root all the others after you've tried it and seen how simple it really is.

Will the Nook still function as a E-reader after the rooting process or just dedicated to Practiscore?

No, it's a dedicated scoring appliance at that point. (With rootnscoreit.) Which is all I want, personally. I'm sure it's just me, but I don't like the e-ink display for reading. Books are not printed black on grey paper, and that's what a nook gives you.

• 1 month later...

Wallpaper is a png file called “wallpaper” with no extension that goes in the nook as:

/data/data/com.android.settings/files/wallpaper

A little more help please. Where is this folder found? When I plug my nook into my computer I can't find the /data directory

Depends on your nook and the computer you're plugging it into. As I recall, sometimes you plug one in and have 2 "external" drives appear. One is for the microsd card, the other is for the nook itself. Sometimes for the nook itself, it doesn't show the full file structure of the device, which is what you need. Sometimes it does; I don't understand the reason that would cause this different result. If you can't get the computer to show that file structure, then you're stuck. if you're just looking for a place to put a screensaver that displays when in hibernation, then just create a practiscore folder within the screensavers folder (alongside the authors and nature folder) and then select the practiscore folder in the screensavers option.

I have the screensaver down pat it is the wallpaper/background thing I trying to get rid of the giant n in the middle. I got that stupid ADW wallpaper/background on the home page on one of the nooks I am trying to get rid of