Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1.2.1 Nook Root MUCH EASIER

ctay

If you have an SD card installed in the NOOK, when you plug it in, it may show up as two drives. One is labeled NOOK, the other (on my system) is called "Unlabeled".

I double-click on the NOOK drive letter, and I see three directories, "LOST.DIR", "My Files", and "screensavers". Double click on "screensavers", create your directory, and drop your .png files in there.

If you don't have an SD card installed, it will only appear as one drive.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, JC, Followed that and then did it twice more. Created a folder, dropped my screen saver in, and it worked. Thank you Now if I could get rid of that ADW all paper and put our logo up I will be about as happy a camper as you'll find.

Thank you for all your hard work. This scoring system is fantastic and as I get better at using it, I can only see being happier with it. We use it for Knock-down Steel, our indoor practice matches and our monthly as well as we had planned on using it for a shotgun and a 3-gun match, both got rained and or snowed out.

Edited by Jim Norman

Bill, Like I said, It is probably me. There area a lot of simple steps that all you computer people just do without thinking about that the rest of us mere mortals don't know. I experience this in my work where I have forgotten that I do certain basics or even think about them after 40+ years. I am sure that there is some simple click here or change this that I just don't know about.

"You computer people"? Hmm, okay, that just reminds me of someone else I know and I won't read anything into it that I know wasn't intended. :) Anyway, really, all I did was just ordinary simple drag and drop, absolutely nothing else, from the file manager.

Um, right-cllick on 'screensavers' and see if it's marked read only?

• 3 weeks later...

You really might want to just look at rootnscoreit.com and re-root one with that and see how you like it. It's clean, ridiculously simple (the hardest part is creating the card), and gives you a dedicated ready-to-use scoring device.

Except some of the instructions can be a bit cryptic. http://www.rootnscoreit.com/tourist.html

You really might want to just look at rootnscoreit.com and re-root one with that and see how you like it. It's clean, ridiculously simple (the hardest part is creating the card), and gives you a dedicated ready-to-use scoring device.

Except some of the instructions can be a bit cryptic. http://www.rootnscoreit.com/tourist.html

Hey, I can't help it if I have the attention span of a ferret on meth!

I keep *meaning* to finish it. I just get distracted by shiny... HEY LOOK! A SQUIRREL!

• 4 weeks later...

Having setup Roon-n-ScoreIt on two new spare Nooks, I decided to switch our others over since I like the way it behaves better. But I've run into a problem. After resetting the Nook and installing Practiscore as per instructions, I find that the N button now opens Relauncher rather than the desktop. How do I change that?

Just ended up doing it all over again and it's fine now. Very strange.

Edited by Graham Smith

OK, there is definitely something missing in the instructions about changing a Nook over from the older rooting to the new Root-n-ScoreIt.

What I end up with is a screen with the "Drag to Unlock". When I do that, it asks if I want to complete action using ADW.launcher or ReLaunch.

Unless I am mistaken, the old rooting is not getting removed when the Nook is "Restored". At this point it almost looks like it has to be restored twice to get it to work.

What am I missing?

<time passes>

I have just tried three times in a row to do a factory restore (using Root-n-ScoreIt) on a previously rooted Nook with no success. There's clearly something missing here. I know from the past two that I did that if I go ahead and reroot it with RASI it will screw up and, at that point, I can restore it from there. But that's hardly what I would call an elegant solution.

Edited by Graham Smith

Let's go through the sequence. I'm doing one while I write this:

1. take an already-rooted nook whose contents you have no love for now, and turn it off.

2. create the latest version rootnscoreit card

3. insert the rasi card and turn on the nook, you should see the rasi splash screen

4. on the getting started screen, hit next

5. on the select method screen, hit advanced

6. on the advanced operations screen, hit restore

7. on the restore screen hit factory

8. on the factory restore screen, hit restore

9. on the factory restore ready screen, hit exit.

10. eject the sd card and watch the nook reboot into factory reset mode. you'll see 'clearing data' and a progress bar, a black screen, and then a 'restoring...' screen with a progress bar. put it down; do not touch; let it finish.

11. watch the nook reboot in the 'welcome to your all-new nook' screen.

12. TURN IT OFF. You no longer have to complete the B&N setup. (If you have previously gone through it with this device and registered with B&N, that's okay. But if you should wish to resell the nook later, you'll want to unregister the device from your email address and to do that, you'll need to reset back to factory, go through the setup motions, then go into options and unregister/reset the nook at which point your buyer can register it with his/her own email address.)

13. insert the rasi card and turn it back on. see the rootnscoreit splash screen again.

14. see the getting started screen. hit next

15. see the select method screen, hit express

16. see the (most likely) upgrade to v1.2.1 required screen. hit next

17. see the v1.2.1 upgrade info screen. hit next.

18. see the copying v1.2.1 upgrade screen. wait for it to complete. it'll give a start time and end time for the copy operation.

19. when the exit option appears, hit exit.

20. see the exiting screen. eject the rasi card.

21. watch the nook reboot and install the 1.2.1 firmware upgrade. PUT IT DOWN. Do NOT touch. let it finish. This takes a while.

---more in a bit, I'm waiting....

22. see the nook reboot into the 'welcome to your all-new nook' screen again.

23. Turn it off. Insert the rasi card. turn it back on. FINALLY, we're to actually do the rooting process.

24. turn it on, see the rasi splash screen.

25. see the getting started screen. hit next.

26. see the select method screen. hit express.

27. see the install practiscore screen. hit install.

28. see the starting installation screen. wait. Don't touch, leave it alone. Doesn't take long.

29. see the 'installation complete' screen. hit next.

30. see the 'final notes screen. hit exit.

31. eject the card and set aside for the next nook, watch the nook reboot.

32. when you see the 'n' desktop, DON'T TRY TO DO ANYTHING, WAIT!, it's going to reboot itself one additional time.

33. watch the nook reboot again to the 'n' desktop.

34. rooting process completed.

35. additonal steps: select your wifi network; go into setting and select your timezone; setup dropbox for installation of subsequent releases of PS (you'll need to have a separate sdcard in the nook); start practiscore and name your device in the 'sync' tab.

36. short-press of the 'n' button will take you back to the 'n' desktop. long-press of the 'n' button will take you into the nook graphical manager's built-in file manager. short-press from the file manager takes you back to the 'n' desktop.

37. finished.

Edited by wgnoyes

Sorry, but that doesn't work on the Nooks I have. I got confirmation of this from JC. For some reason, RASI will not restore the older Nooks that are at 1.1.0 and already rooted with the old rooting software. For those you have to start by upgrading them to v1.2.1. You can do this all with the RASI card, but you have to take care since you end up repeating a step. The sequence ends up being like this:

Upgrade to v1.2.1

Restore to Factory

Upgrade to v1.2.1 again

Root

Edited by Graham Smith

What I end up with is a screen with the "Drag to Unlock". When I do that, it asks if I want to complete action using ADW.launcher or ReLaunch.

Does the popup that presents this question to you have a checkbox to have the choice be the default in the future? If so, check it, pick ADW, and see if that addresses your issue.

If you're getting questions about adw v relaunch, the only time I've seen that is when you tried to reroot over a nook that was already rooted with vanilla graphical manager without resetting to factory first.

I had one of those Graham, but I can't remember which I selected. Probably Relaunch.

Didn't seem to matter, next time I did a cold start of the Nook the message did NOT appear and everything was fine going forward.

Sorry, but that doesn't work on the Nooks I have. I got confirmation of this from JC. For some reason, RASI will not restore the older Nooks that are at 1.1.0 and already rooted with the old rooting software. For those you have to start by upgrading them to v1.2.1. You can do this all with the RASI card, but you have to take care since you end up repeating a step. The sequence ends up being like this:

Upgrade to v1.2.1

Restore to Factory

Upgrade to v1.2.1 again

Root

Well... Dealing with nooks has never been an exact science, which is a minor secondary reason I've soured on the android version.

If you're getting questions about adw v relaunch, the only time I've seen that is when you tried to reroot over a nook that was already rooted with vanilla graphical manager without resetting to factory first.

As already noted, for some reason, the RASI install has to be modified for some of the older Nook, like mine. I found that the give away is that after the factory restore, you should find the Nook as booted to the B&N Welcome setup. If that didn't happen then it hasn't gone back to the factory settings and you have to do the loop-d-loop I described.

Notice: Your Nooks may be different than mine. What works for me may not work for you.

Well, if you do the factory reset and you don't get the 'welcome to your all-new nook" screen, of course you try it again.

And all of my nooks are not the same. I've got one stuck 3/4ths of the way through reset right one, been there for weeks, can't do anything with it.

Well, if you do the factory reset and you don't get the 'welcome to your all-new nook" screen, of course you try it again.

Well, that's the rub. With my Nooks, I could do the restore 5 times in a row and it wouldn't take. The only sequence that worked was to upgrade to the 1.2.1 firmware, then restore, then upgrade to 1.2.1 again (since the restore wiped that), then root.

And I didn't mention this but after the upgrade then restore, I found that turning the Nook back on required a "hard restart". Hold the button for 30sec release hold the button for 10sec.

Curious about the one that is stuck. I don't know enough about how these things work to know if something like removing the battery for a few minutes would "clear" anything.

There's a B&N setting option to de-register and reset the device. Did you ever just go ahead and go through the setup and then do the de-register and reset to factory that way? I've started going through mine to deregister them from B&N for future resale. Don't know how to remove the battery. Anything involving soldering is an instant no-go with me.

Edited by wgnoyes

There's a B&N setting option to de-register and reset the device. Did you ever just go ahead and go through the setup and then do the de-register and reset to factory that way? I've started going through mine to deregister them from B&N for future resale. Don't know how to remove the battery. Anything involving soldering is an instant no-go with me.

I thought that you couldn't reset a rooted Nook that way. There's some strange voodoo instructions on the NookDev site involving 6 repetitions of holding the power button for 15 seconds.

As to the battery, never had a need but it's supposedly easy to open and unplug the battery.

That 6-9 times of holding the button for 15 (20 really) seconds, letting go, press again, repeat as needed, hold your mouth right, stand on one foot, is the exact reason Chris Wren added the factory reset feature to the rasi card, to avoid all that horse crap, which half the time doesn't work and you have to start all over again. But in a vanilla nook already setup as an e-reader like B&N intended, you can do a de-register and reset to factory as an tappable option in settings. You can't usually reset a rooted nook that way, as the settings menu is either not available at all or has been parred down to make that unavailable. So for instance to reroot a nook and also deregister it for possible future sale, I have to do a factory reset, go through the B&N setup, go into settings and de-register and do their factory reset, then when I see the 'welcome to...' screen again, turn it off, insert the rasi card, and start again with the rooting process as if I just took it out of the box new. And the reason I want to de-register it is if I sell one, the buyer won't be able to register it with his email address because mine will already be associated with it on the B&N databases.

Edited by wgnoyes