Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1.2.1 Nook Root MUCH EASIER

ctay

I have the screensaver down pat it is the wallpaper/background thing I trying to get rid of the giant n in the middle. I got that stupid ADW wallpaper/background on the home page on one of the nooks I am trying to get rid of

Sorry, but I don't know a basic method to get the file to the nook. I don't think the root directory and other subdirectories off the root can be accessed by just plugging the nook into a PC.

I use ADB to do the transfer. Most rooting methods install that on the nook. You'll have to get an android SDK to install ADB on your PC, though, and the learning curve is somewhat steep.

Alternatively, a rooted Nook can run most any Android file manager. I use "ES File Explorer" on mine. You can get it in Market if you rooted your system with access the Google store. If you can get the wallpaper image file to your nook some way, for example by emailing it, posting it on a website for download, or using dropbox, then you can use the file explorer to move it to the right directory.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really might want to just look at rootnscoreit.com and re-root one with that and see how you like it. It's clean, ridiculously simple (the hardest part is creating the card), and gives you a dedicated ready-to-use scoring device.

You really might want to just look at rootnscoreit.com and re-root one with that and see how you like it. It's clean, ridiculously simple (the hardest part is creating the card), and gives you a dedicated ready-to-use scoring device.

JC has done a tremendous service to the practical shooting community with rootnscoreit. It fits the needs of many nook users.

I'm pretty happy with my custom Nook-Touch-Mod root, though, and think I'll stick with it. I stripped out all of the junk B&N leaves in, and it only has the stuff I use now. It's a bit peppier, since it's overclocked to 1 ghz from the standard 800 mhz. All of the screens are custom, and the desktop is clean. And it has Google Market access and gmail.

post-13697-0-69016000-1394678577_thumb.j

post-13697-0-88569100-1394678596_thumb.j

post-13697-0-43821000-1394678610_thumb.j

post-13697-0-70041200-1394678623_thumb.j

post-13697-0-38174600-1394678636_thumb.j

post-13697-0-10339900-1394678657_thumb.j

Edited by austex

Ooo, god, your desktop is BUSY!

You must be looking at the app drawer (5th image from left). The desktop (4th image from left) only has 3 buttons: settings, Practiscore, and the button that opens the app drawer. I use each of them regularly. And I agree about the auto update. All apps are set to notify of new versions, but need authorization to update.

Oh, at the bottom! Yeah, I see. That's about what rootnscoreit does, except that I take the additional step of moving the 3 icons (PS, dropbox, and ..... something else) to the center of the screen. Chris doesn't do that with his, but I think it makes them that much easier to find for a less than completely experienced user.

• 3 weeks later...

Bill,

I turn to you at this time. I have tried to run Rootnscoreit and am having no end of troubles creating the card! Somewhere you posted about Windows Image Burn, and that apparently is no more for Windows 7. How does one get rootnscoreit to unzip and onto the microSD card without this handy app?

Greg,

Must be me, but I wound up with a program called Image convertor and an unwanted addition to my toolbars which shows up as a malware. Mysearchdial. Also the inage convertor does not list .img as a file it handles'

Does anyone have the Rootnscoreit in a simple straight up .zip file? I admit I am NOT a computer master, probably not even A class, but it isn't supposed to be this difficult.

I've asked Chris Wren to contact you. The most difficult part of the entire rooting process in rootnscoreit is creating the card itself, and that's the same regardless of which rooting system you use.

Edited by wgnoyes

Jim,

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as just a .zip file. The SD card has to have a specific format so that when the NOOK tries to boot from it, it recognizes it and can use it.

Win32DiskImager from SourceForge.net is the same tool I use. I've just de-installed and re-installed, and there's no toolbars or virus warnings about it from my systems.

First, you need to double-click on the 'RootnScoreIt_PS1.2.11.zip' file, which should be in your Downloads folder. Click 'Extract all files', and click 'Extract' in the window that opens. This will leave you with a 'RootnScoreIt_PS1.2.11.img' file in the Downloads->RootnScoreIt_PS1.2.11 folder.

Win32DiskImager installs into the folder at Start->All Programs->Image Writer, and from there you select Win32DiskImager (I don't know why the didn't name the program folder name the same as the utility). This should bring up the program, and the current version is 0.9.5.

Click the folder icon to the right of the empty input box, and navigate to the folder where you extracted the Root'n-Score-It image to (which should be in the Downloads->RootnScoreIt_PS1.2.11 folder). Double-click on the 'RootnScoreIt_PS1.2.11.img' file name, the window should close, and you should now see the full path to the file in the box to the left of the folder icon in Win32 Disk Imager.

The icon next to the folder icon shows a drive letter, and this should be set to the drive letter that your SD card adapter uses. If you're not sure which one that is, you can click Start->Computer and you should see a drive listed in the 'Devices with Removable Storage' section and it should show a drive labeled 'Removable Disk', and the size should be approximately the size of your SD card.

After you select the correct drive letter for your SD card adapter, click 'Write', and it should take off running. It's going to take a while to write the image. Right at this moment, I can't tell you if there's any additional dialogs after clicking the 'Write' button. My SD card adapter is at work, and I don't have a spare I can lay my hands on.

After that completes, you can remove the SD card, make sure the NOOK is turned all the way off, install the SD card in the NOOK, and then power it on. From there, you should be good to go.

Edited by jcwren

Thank you. the link you gave to the image writer is fine. However I got to it before it kept adding in a lot of BS in addition to not working. I cleaned up all the BS I got from that and ran the version from the source you provided above, seems to be going good.

So now trying the RootNScoreit program, so far it got as far as 'press Next" to install Practicscore and is currently sitting maybe stalled, maybe not. when I touch 'Next' nothing apparently happens. Letting it sit for a while to see if it is running background, but concerned. I looked at the files on the card and don't see the Practicscore.apk file. Should I?

The ridges on either side of the bezel that the arrows point to are the actual buttons to press.

Because of the rooting system used, the actual touch screen isn't functional.

When not actually running from the rooting SD card, the NOOK is running Android. When booting from the SD card, you're running a very small Linux kernel that doesn't have touch screen support.

OK, I hope I didn't screw up the first one.

There is a lot more to know than meets the eye here.

I should be aware of this fact as I have to train people to do things I've done so long I forgot learning them.

#2 seems to be running properly

Well, as you may surmise from the website, the IDEA was to put lots of help material up there, and try to cover from complete novice to Experienced Old Guy.

But like a ferret on meth distracted by shiny objects, I haven't finished it. Yet. Gots lots of pictures to put up showing various screens, and a bunch of text that needs writing, but everything else keeps distracting me.

OK, Maybe it really is me! I re ran the whole precess and this time it all ran fine. I have three more plus the one that may be a brick. Not the end of the world. We shall see.

If there were about 100 more words in the instructions it would be as easy as a 20 second El Prez. As it stands you really need to have a deeper understanding of both the Nooks and computer inner workings than I do.

Bill, the Note about the Bezel Buttons is CRITICAL, also that last bit. Additionally knowing where to get the Image Writer is also sort of important. I got to it through some sort of downloader program, didn't know it and had to do a full system scan to get rid of about 400 various infections that site brought in.

I am however very happy with how it finally worked! I think I now have it. Just need to up date to 1.2.12 and change the screen saver to our club.

Thank you and JC both.

OK, I'm back again.

Have all 7 new Nooks rooted and running. Can do the updates to 1.2.12 no problem, I am trainable after a fashion. I'd like to put our own wall paper and screen saver on the nooks. Each will have a call if found phone number as well as our logo and the unit number. Anyone?

Dunno about changing wall paper, never wanted to do that.

As far as screen savers, create an 800x600 .png file. Color is okay, but see 16 levels of gray is all you have to work with. Put the file in /media/screensavers/<some-name>, then go to Settings->Screen and under screen savers, you should see <some-name>. Select test and it will use it. You can multiple insides in the <some-name> directory, and it'll rotate though them.

For <some-name>, use a name like USPSA or the abbreviation of your club (in capital letters).

To create the directory and to copy the files, plug the NOOK into the PC with the USB cable, and use Explorer in Windows.

Edited by jcwren

OK, I must be stupid.

I cannot get to the directory to load the files on the newly rooted units. the older ones, no problem I can get to the tree, how do I find it on the ones I just rooted with shootnscoreit?