Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ramped Barrel for HPs

Craig N

It is not absolutely necessary. My experience with hollow points is that they chew up the bevel ramp of the non supported barrels though.

I cannot fathom how copper or lead (both of which are softer metals than the steel that is used in the frame) could in any way 'chew' up a ramp! I have a couple of 1911's that have had 1000's of rounds through them (a LOT of hollow points) and have yet to see a mark left on the feedramp from a hollowpoint!

By bevel ramp I mean conventional or non supported barrels

Exactly what I was talking about too. I've never seen a ramped barrel OR a frame ramp chewed up by hollowpoints in any caliber in a 1911 or 2011. I've been carrying, tuning and building them for 30 years! The only exception might be an aluminum frame. If you have one damaged by hollowpoints I would love to see a picture of it.

Edited by 392heminut

It isn't the portion of the ramp on the frame but the barrel itself. I was shown buy the guy who mentored me on 1911's. He said swc and hp's were to blame, he had an old barrel, since then never owned/built a non ramped barrel.

Ramped or non-ramped 9mm 1911s should feed hollowpoints with complete reliability. Some guns, particularly the Filipino manufactured models like my STI Spartan 9mm, may require some contouring of the throat/ramp area, depending on the cartridge length and bullet shape you are using. (That can be true of 9mm 1911s with ramped barrels, also. My Les Baer 9mm needed some throating work to feed the stubby 9mm JHPs I like to use.)

The "hollowpoint chewing" issue only relates to pistols with aluminum frames. I had that exact issue with an aluminum framed 1911 in .45 caliber. The problem was solved by installing an EGW steel ramp insert, but machining the frame to accept a ramped barrel would have done the job also. Steel framed 1911s will not be damaged by JHPs or SWCs--many of us here shoot countless thousands of these bullet profiles through our non-ramped guns with no problems at all.