Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 40 PRO

mike821504

Okay, this is for those who reload for their M&P 40 PRO. Last month I picked up a 40 PRO and started to build a nice Limited gun. A few days ago, my Wife gave me a set of reloading dies, 500 plated 180gr bullets, and a 4 lb. jug of WST (I love that woman). I have reloaded thousands of .45 and .223, and this is my first venture into .40. I have spent hours skimming threads and taking notes. Needless to say I have reached information overload and am asking for help. I have very limited access to a chronograph and am asking for proven load data for major using WST in the 40 PRO. Thanks for you help!

-Mike

Edited by mike821504

Listed below is the load I use for my M&P 40 Pro

Bullet - Rainier Ballistics 180gr Round Nose Flat Point

Powder - WST, 4.8gr Drop

Brass - Mixed Range Brass

Primer - Winchester Small Pistol

OAL - 1.140

Velocity - 935 - 945fps

CHA-LEE, thanks for the information I will put it to good use. Just waiting on a shell holder for the 40 and I will be able to tackle it head on! With the great weather we are having here down in Albuquerque, I should be able to spend a lot of time at the range and in the reloading shed.

Just an FYI I believe WST is too fast for 40 major at 1.125 or standard OAL. Most people who run WST for major 40 load it long 1.180 to 1.200. When I was running a P16 I tried it and after the fourth case head separation I decided to stop and run a slower powder. And I was running an OAL of 1.200. I don’t think the small reduction in recoil is worth the risk you are taking and would recommend WSF instead. Congratulations on the gifts from you’re wife; sounds like you’ve got it good. I ran 5.4gr of WSF behind a Bayou 180gr in my 40 pro at the limited nations and don’t plan on changing any time soon.

Thanks for the information. For me recoil is not a real issue yet. Up to this point I was shooting Limited 10 with an M&P 45. So far I have just ran factory loads through the PRO. The thing I find is the barrel lifting or 'Snap' I guess it's called.

I would add that WST makes a great 40 minor load. I load 4grs with a 140gr Bayou and it feels like cheating. I load them both at 975fps (135 and 175 PF) same everything whether shooting major or minor, minor is just softer and I don’t have to fear the crono.

Just an FYI I believe WST is too fast for 40 major at 1.125 or standard OAL. Most people who run WST for major 40 load it long 1.180 to 1.200. When I was running a P16 I tried it and after the fourth case head separation I decided to stop and run a slower powder. And I was running an OAL of 1.200. I don’t think the small reduction in recoil is worth the risk you are taking and would recommend WSF instead. Congratulations on the gifts from you’re wife; sounds like you’ve got it good. I ran 5.4gr of WSF behind a Bayou 180gr in my 40 pro at the limited nations and don’t plan on changing any time soon.

I must disagree with WST being too fast for 40 standard oal. I have loaded lots of them with 4.8 WST and a 180BC moly @ 1.125 and have never had a problem with the load. No pressure signs, no guppy brass out of my Glock or MP Pro.

If you're worried about pressure, start out long. I can load my M&P Pro 40 rounds to as long as 1.160 (probably a little longer but never tried) The difference between my loads (with Silhouette) at 1.125 and 1.160 are massive. So you have a decent amount of room to play with.

Hey its you’re body. I've had guns blow up on me and carry the scars; I don’t want to do that again. Hodgen who distributes WST says it is not safe, I heard the Sierra manual has new numbers but I don’t know how they can be a full grain over Hodgen and the old Winchester loads when the powder has not changed. Unless you have access to a ballistics lab with a calibrated pressure gun you are just guessing about the pressure. I do have a friend that runs a lab and have had them tested and they were well over 35,000 before we hit 170PF. My buddy still has not found a 9mm major load that is under 50,000 (his personal project) but people get away with doing that. Maybe I’m just getting paranoid in my old age. Then again looking at primers doesn’t mean anything and you will hear people tell you all the time that there load is safe because the primers look good. Same guys did a test on that subject and can produce loads that are well within pressure where the primers look horrible and loads way over pressure that look fine. Ok I’m done ranting I guess I’m tried and grumpy tonight.

Edited by ryan45kim

I hear what you are saying Ryan and appreciate it. After having an M60 blow up while going hot, it is not something I would really like to do again (once is enough :goof: ). Hodgdon lists Berry's 180gr as max load of 4.9, pushing 932 @ 32,000PSI.

Erring on the side of caution I went ahead and ordered a Chrono..... If I can make Major under at or under 4.8, I feel safe there.

I’ve been using WST since it replaced 452AA in the 45 acp and lately, in the 9mm and 40 (loaded long) with Poly/Moly lead bullets.

I’ll second that, IMO, WST is just to fast to make major safely in the 40 when loaded to SAAMI length.

In my testing, with jacketed bullets, WST will max out at 160-165 PF depending on the gun. With lead, coated lead or perhaps plated, you might get it up to 170 PF but just remember, (as others have pointed out) WST is reverse temp sensitive.

While I’ve never encountered any problems with WST in my P16 (also loaded to 1.200) I would second the recommendation to switch to WSF.

Jeff

Well since I am dealing with something that is basically a controlled explosion in my hand (and I still have memories of picking feed tray pieces out of my face and chest). Looks like I will just use the WST for my .45. Since I am going to purchase another powder, other than WSF, any other recommendations on a 'short load' powder?