Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classification System Announced

IdahoShooter

"Rankings are based on scores from all 8 stages in all divisions except Rimfire and Shotgun."

Looks like they are taking the shooters best time ever on a particular stage with a centerfire gun and using the aggregate to calculate the time on 6 of the 8 stages (excluding Outer Limits and Speed Option) to get the classification time. It definitely skews the system to favor the open shooters, but I have seen many an iron sight shooter beat an open shooter. They don't say if flight times are included/excluded, but maybe that is assumed to be taken care of appropriately by the club or match event depending on their stop plate set-up.

I guess it's a start.

If they are going to replicate the USPSA classification system, shouldn't they match the gun divisions also,revo vs. revo, limited vs. limited, etc.? Would it really hurt to classify the rimfire shooters also, it's now a part of the SSC, so why not? The whole site is a mess right now, we've been waiting for our scores to post since the 31st. Hopefully they will get the bugs out soon.

I shoot more than one division but up until now I have concentrated on the Rimfire and Carbine divisions shooting .22. One reason I did not renew my Sc membership for the current year was the lack of knowledge on how well you are doing with no classification system.

The classification system will eventually include a breakdown if all the divisions. Since this is still early and we expected changes to be made as we go along the decision was made to start with an overall class system and ranking system. Get the bugs sorted out of that. Make sure shooters were okay with it and then branch into other divisions. Kind of like the way smart people (read that as other than me) make changes to their guns. One thing at a time, then another.

All the data has been captured as its coming in to HQ so any scores you have in the different divisions will be easy to split out when the time comes.

Somebody asked about flight times. They are no more. The new rule book did away with the flight time calculation and electronic stop plate. Time simply stops on the last shot. All records going forward will be classed differently to account for this. Ie per and post 2013 records.

How do you like the class and ranking system otherwise. Are the breakdowns where they should be? Does it make sense? Should we change anything?

The classification system will eventually include a breakdown if all the divisions. Since this is still early and we expected changes to be made as we go along the decision was made to start with an overall class system and ranking system. Get the bugs sorted out of that. Make sure shooters were okay with it and then branch into other divisions. Kind of like the way smart people (read that as other than me) make changes to their guns. One thing at a time, then another.

All the data has been captured as its coming in to HQ so any scores you have in the different divisions will be easy to split out when the time comes.

Somebody asked about flight times. They are no more. The new rule book did away with the flight time calculation and electronic stop plate. Time simply stops on the last shot. All records going forward will be classed differently to account for this. Ie per and post 2013 records.

How do you like the class and ranking system otherwise. Are the breakdowns where they should be? Does it make sense? Should we change anything?

First I want to make it clear that none of this is a complaint. I think it is great that a system is finally being put in place and I know it will take some time to get everything worked out.

My first question is, When will the new rule book be available? I was just on the SCSA site and rule book there is dated June2012 and it still shows flight time and electronic stop plates.

I think that the class and rank charts need to be totally separate. The class list should show only the six stages used to determine class and the rank list would have all eight stages. Looking at the rank list member #1508 is 12th and is a Master. Member #1437 is ranked 20th and is a GM. I understand they are like this because of the six stages used for class and eight for rank. I just think that the class list would be easier understood if the two stages not used were removed from it.

For classification the best time ever recorded would be used and to change it a request would need to be approved like in the USPSA system.

For the ranking list the times entered would need to be fluid in order to be meaningful. If the best ever time is used for rank someone could work on one stage at a time to get their lowest time for that one stage while letting the other stage times suffer. I don’t know what the best answer to this is but maybe use a 15 or 20% difference in current time before it changes so the shooter will not be penalized in the ranking when they had a malfunction but if they have lost a step on the other shooters they wouldn’t have an inflated ranking. Maybe this has been addressed in the new rule book but if not I feel that it deserves a look.