Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

revo help

matt hoffman

I'm shooting my first bianchi this year and shooting revo. I had planned to shoot a vcomp in open but it didnt pan out. I've got 625,686 and 627 now but all 4" guns that i shoot now in idpa and icore.I planned to shoot my 627 pro in production. What do you all think,is the 4" a big enough dissadvantage to scramble around for a 5 or 6" gun? Am I way overthinking this?Thanks, nervous Matt.

My advice would be to shoot the 686 4" the first year in Production. Most of the match is at 25 yds. or less. Sight it in at 25 yd. and you're good for anything closer + the 35 yard Barricade. The only thing left is the 50 yd. Practical where you may have to hold at the top of the X or 10 ring. Find a load that makes minor and is accurate in your gun. Have a decent action job so the trigger pull is not too heavy. Practice getting out of the holster and getting off a well aimed first shot quickly. This will buy you time to aim all the other shots. You want to be at 2 seconds max for the 1st shot. Faster is better, but that first one has to be a good hit.There is not enough difference in points between a 4 and a 6 to worry about for your first match. If your gun will shoot a decent group at 25 yards you're good to go.

Edited by Toolguy

Matt, what Warren said is right on the money. The 6 inch would have an accuracy advantage at 50 yrds but it is very hard to get the long barrel out of the production holster fast. When you draw the gun it comes up to your arm pit for the 6 inch barrel to clear the holster. The Kydex holsters seem to work well.

The Zero 125gr JHPs shoot well, if you can find them.

Edited by toothguy

Thanks for the replies. Ive got plenty of gear for all off them,and shoot them all pretty good. I've got them all smothed up and ready to go. i tend to overthink stuff. I hated to buy a 6" gun when I probably wouldnt use that much. The vcomp was going to be for icore open as well,but will have to wait.

My 686 is the pro also,so I had leaned towards the 627 for a little more weightt and the shorter stroke.Ill give it another look. I definitly need more speed for the lighter bullits.thanks again for the help!

Thanks for the replies. Ive got plenty of gear for all off them,and shoot them all pretty good. I've got them all smothed up and ready to go. i tend to overthink stuff. I hated to buy a 6" gun when I probably wouldnt use that much. The vcomp was going to be for icore open as well,but will have to wait.

My 686 is the pro also,so I had leaned towards the 627 for a little more weightt and the shorter stroke.Ill give it another look. I definitly need more speed for the lighter bullits.thanks again for the help!

The 627 is a good choice as well. It's nice to have the extra rounds in case of a short stroke or light strike, but make sure you count to six.

Practice will help with the 6 shot string thing, just don't panic or you will revert to brain emergency standby mode, and you will do what ever the brain believes (not you think) fits the situation.

I also agree with Warren, stick to what you have and shoot a few matches well BEFORE the Cup, see how it goes and then decide (again still with plenty of time up your sleeve) if you need to go to a longer barrel. The advantages may offset some of the previously mentions disadvantages. See if someone you know has a 6" set up you can shoot a match with to see how it all fits.

I lean towards the 6" gun. Tried it for a while many years ago in stock gun. Sight radius was great, accuracy was great, speed top target out of the holster was OK, once you got the drill down.

I think an ideal production gun would be a 6'' 686, 7 shot. As gm iprod and Toolguy said, shoot what you have for now. What ever length barrel you use, put a set of Toolguy's fiber optic sights on it. Get a timer and use the winter to practice the match. With a revolver you have everything except the boom. Build a dry fire range in your basement using reduced sized targets, to simulate longer ranges. Find a technique your comfortable with for the left side barracade, it's a challenge for production shooters. Buy a mat and practice going prone. Depending on weather, see if you can find a good plate rack, it's great for par time practice. If you have the chance to practice on a mover that would be time well spent.

If you do not have access to a real mover use a target and two sticks 30ft left and right of the target. Start at 10Y, set up like you would be if shooting for real swinging around to the stick on the right, use the timer to start you, on the signal draw and swing to the target from the right hand stick and shoot the six rounds, do this in under 6 seconds until you get used to the swing and the time. Now repeat from left stick. Do same for 15Y, then 3 rounds each string at 20Y and 25Y for the total match. Once you have done that a few times and are getting into it, reduce the time to 5 seconds. AT 5 seconds do not use the end beep on the timer. You just need to be able to look at what you times were. If you drift over by more than .5sec you need to consciously increase your shooting speed. But not at the expense of shooting at a cadence or really rushing the shots. Do not get into a cadence on this practice. It will not help later when shooting and swinging at the same time as in for real. Do this enough with good sight pictures the mover will be easier, not easy, but easier, than no practice at all. This plan is to teach you the basic movements of the match, with good shooting to a good sight picture to build up a subconcious recognition picture for the brain to pull up and use as a start point. So that all you need to concentrate on is 6 shots (regardless of actual capacity), mag changes and the fact that the target is actually moving.

Thanks for all the tips. I had a 25-2 with the 6" and never could shoot it as good as the 4". I've been shooting revo for 2 years now in idpa and icore but havnt tried going back to the 6. I played hell getting the time off so didnt want a Bianchi only gun.Sort of a bucket list deal,shooting camp perry next year hopefully.

The match tips are greatly appreciated,my club has a plate rack and have some steel of my own if its taken. Hadn't figured out a good mover practice yet. Now just have to get the ammo sorted out......

With the revo, IMO, shoot all double action, start pulling the trigger before eveything is perfect, and have the confidence that sights will get aligned and placed where you want them by the time the hammer falls. With anything except the 50 yd stage, unless you start the trigger moving soon and keep it moving, then you likely will get rushed and ultimately make ambush type shots to beat the clock.

Toughest time limits with the revo, IMO, will probably be 10 yds on the Barricade(6 shots in 5 seconds) and the 25 yd line of the Practical (one and one in 5 seconds, two and two in 6 seconds and the real hump will be three and three in 7 seconds). All of these are no problem, provided you get on the trigger pretty soon and keep it moving, smoothly yet quickly. Very tight grip works best for me.

With the revo, IMO, shoot all double action, start pulling the trigger before eveything is perfect, and have the confidence that sights will get aligned and placed where you want them by the time the hammer falls. With anything except the 50 yd stage, unless you start the trigger moving soon and keep it moving, then you likely will get rushed and ultimately make ambush type shots to beat the clock.

Toughest time limits with the revo, IMO, will probably be 10 yds on the Barricade(6 shots in 5 seconds) and the 25 yd line of the Practical (one and one in 5 seconds, two and two in 6 seconds and the real hump will be three and three in 7 seconds). All of these are no problem, provided you get on the trigger pretty soon and keep it moving, smoothly yet quickly. Very tight grip works best for me.

+1, excellent advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys got a dumb question. My elderly nieghbor gave me his 686 6" to use so I'll probably use it. Will I have to time to load singles or should I get some more speed loaders? I've got 6 comp 3's now,could get a few more if needed.Thanks!

Yes, get at least 8 total, you can load the first time with singles and then use the speed loaders for the rest of the stage, this keeps one spare in case you need to drop a speed loader because it won't release or you need a fast reload, I also keep one spare on me in case I need to reload because something goes wrong.

Most of the revolver shooters have a shooters box they carry with them during the match to keep organized. I made mine from a 18"x14" open top rubber tool box that I got at Walmart in the cleaning section and a folding camp chair for the legs. A speed loader block is on one side and you throw the empties on the other. Like Greg said you need 8 loaders but 10 couldn't hurt.

J_l.jpg

Hey guys got a dumb question. My elderly nieghbor gave me his 686 6" to use so I'll probably use it. Will I have to time to load singles or should I get some more speed loaders? I've got 6 comp 3's now,could get a few more if needed.Thanks!

Matt,

The loading block tooth guy posted is a useful item. They can be had for around $25. I made mine, but I just like the satisfaction of tinkering. The load block lets you get by without as many speedloaders. That sad I have about 8 speedloaders.

Consider the Jet leader instead of more comp 3s. I have a couple Jet loaders and like the better than safariland. They are worth the extra $5 in my opinion. Wish I had started with them from the beginning.

-John