Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What scope mount and rail is Taran Butler using?

blkbrd

I noticed in this months issue of Front Sight covering the 3-gun Nationals that Teran Butler is using a low powered Trijicon Accupoint mounted fairly far forward.

What mount and rings is he using?

What have you used with Accupoints and Leupolds to get spaced low and forward?

A quick release rail would be nice.

Well, take a look at the pic I posted above. I shoot an A2 stock and don't shoot "nose to the charging handle". I'd have to have someone hold the rifle and get a rough measurement, but would guess the eye relief is 4+ inches. It's almost like an IER scout scope. Here's another pic. It was taken when the rifle was first built and the scope was soon moved another cross slot forward after it was taken to get the eye relief right. The forward side of the aft scope ring is now inline with the end of the free float tube.

102301.jpg

We were talking about the mount the other day and I don`t remember which one he said hes using. I do know it`s not the LaRue though. I do remember Paul at MSTN saying thier new Acc-u-point mount was almost complete. Soon as I can get my hands on one, I`m gonna try one out and see how it compares to my ACOG and JP iron sight set up I`m using now.

I`ll talk to him when he gets back from Nationals and get the scoop for you guys.

CS#158

The new mount is nearly done. 150 are supposed to come back from finishing by Friday. Still will need to be gauged and assembled, but I should have them for sale within a couple weeks. I have three of Taran's uppers here right now, waiting for the mounts. (We built the uppers for him too). He has been using the YHM mount but having many problems with them holding zero.

We designed the new mount with the Accupoint in mind, but it will also work well with the other 1-4x scopes that are in the marketplace. The new Nightforce NXS 1-4 is one we are planning to test extensively when they are available (around January 1 is the latest prediction). It is supposed to be a true 1-4x, like the SN-4 only a lb. lighter!

The Larue M4/SR25 mount will work with an A2 or fully extended Crane stock, but the eye relief on the TR21 is long. The rear of the occular lens housing has to be about even with the trigger for most folks. Not quite a scout, but out there looking for one...

Paule,

Feel free to hijack my post and let us have a picture of your new mount as well as information on the new NSX 1-4. :wub:

I am interested in what reticle it will have, as I wish Trijicon would have put the TA-11 reticle into the Accu-Point. Although I am concrerned they will be to $ proud of it. <_<

I don't have pics of the mount yet, but will within a few days. The scope will come with a choice of four reticles. The best of the lot for 3-Gun will likely be the FC-2. I'll get a pic of it and post it as soon as I can. It's a 1.5 moa dot in the center of a 10 moa circle. Horizon lines left and right with a half-height post under the circle. The reticle is fully lit (unless you turn it off). With a fresh battery it is visible in sunlight. Not sure what the effective battery life will be on full power, but it is supposed to be 700 hours at "normal" settings. I expect less using it lit during sunny conditions.

The scope itself is typical NXS, 17 oz. but able to withstand all of Mother Nature's fury and her Marine Corps brethren. 30mm tube, straight to front with slightly larger occular lens housing. Around 9" overall length. Besides the reticle, these are actual 1x at the low setting, so they work just like any reflex sight for close-up work, and a quick twist gets you a bright, clear 4x. One of our good customers, an admitted glass freak, has sent his new Schmidt & Bender 1-4x back for warranty service after he told them it was not as good as the 2.5-10x NXS he got. S-B decided this was impossible, must be something wrong with their scope!

Glad to provide more detail as soon as I get the mounts, and more scopes. The word on the 2.5-10x is out now and we can't seem to get enough of them.

1-4x24nxs.jpg

1-4x24 NXS

(To be) Available reticles:

fc2ill.jpg

FC-2

(IMHO, its just a Leupold reticle with vertical and horizontal lines....)

npr2.jpg

NP-R2

Used to win the ITRC.

“Whether it was fighting the mirage on 90 degree days or dialing over 10 minutes between shots, the Nightforce NXS scopes were flawless. The NP-R2 reticle simplifies ranging, is highly accurate and is a definite advantage over mil-dots. Thanks for a superior product!”

BENNIE W. COOLEY JR.

Two Time Match Winner

International Tactical

Rifleman’s Championships

mildot1.jpg

Mil-Dot

np1.jpg

NP-1

Hey where does it say that the NXS series or at least the 1x4 has a daytime illuminated recticle? With a list of (supposedly) $1,057.00 it would be the second cheapest variable that would have a daytime illuminated recticle --- the Accupoint being the cheapest.

The daytime scopes from Kahles, Swarovski, Schmidt and Bender and Zeiss are around $1,400-$1,500.00+.

For all of you who are Leupold illuminated reticle owners (me included), I can thankfully say that the NXS illumination is nothing like the designs that Leupold builds. As to the 1-4 and 2.5-10 models, they depart from the bigger NXS scopes in that they have external brightness adjustments, from very dim to daylight bright. All NXS reticles are etched-glass, so the whole reticle lights up, not just the center, as many of the Leupolds do. The controls are very positive, no worry whether you actually got it turned off either.

The FC-2 and NP-1 reticles are the two most suitable for close-up, fast shooting. The standard mildot is not available in the 1-4 and 2.5-10, a "close range" mildot reticle is offered. The bars are smaller and the center section (with the mil graduations) is etched to appear finer. The NP-R2 is the same reticle, but appears to be smaller and takes up a smaller portion of the FOV. For mid-long range tactical shooting the NP-R2 is a terrific reticle. Not too fast up close and personal however. It is my favorite by far in the 3.5-15x and 5.5-22x scopes.

and a quick twist gets you a bright, clear 4x. One of our good customers, an admitted glass freak, has sent his new Schmidt & Bender  1-4x back for warranty service after he told them it was not as good as the 2.5-10x NXS he got.

My new warrantied Accupoint doesn't have nearly as clear glass as the old one. It's blurred around the edges of the field of veiw especially at 1.25X. I can live with it but wish it was better. It's a great optic and the BAC reticle is awesome but I think the last run of glass was less than spec...

How much $$$ is the NF 1x4 going to run? My only problem with it is the weight. :o

I wish they were 8 ounces, instead of 17 (I actually think they will be between 15 & 16 ounces, the 2.5-10x is 17 and it's an inch longer). They are the same weight as a Leupold LR-M3. Hard to make they much lighter and still be as strong. You can pound nails with them, but it messes up the anodizing...

MSRP is $1057, and their minimum advertised price is $1004.15.

• 4 weeks later...
The new mount is nearly done.  150 are supposed to come back from finishing by Friday.  Still will need to be gauged and assembled, but I should have them for sale within a couple weeks. 

PaulE,

Hey, do you have any pics yet on the new mount? I checked out your website and I can't find one.

I'm looking for a QD set-up for the Accupoint. I have low #22's and the 5" YHM. I don't think the YHM's are cut to Picatinny (or whatever) specs as the ARMS levers have to be given a couple of love taps with a mallet to close.

Just wondering, would the ARMS #22M68 with the cantilever spacer fit (with ring reducer of course) the Accupoint?

ARMS-22M68-EXTENSION.gif

It would fit, but I would question the strength for holding a long 1" tube scope with one ring. even if holding zero wasnt a problem, denting the scope would be a concern.

Thanks for the heads up on the YHM I was getting ready to order one, that I planned to use with the low #22's. I wonder if yours is just over speck or over finished?

Sorry, no pics yet. Still waiting on the working prototypes to be finished. Like most new projects, estimates seem to fade into the mist when the deadlines approach. We just got in our first full shipment of lightened hardchrome carriers, (that were ordered in March for early June delivery). Yep, it's October... At least they finally got here.

I'll post pics of the mounts here as soon as I have them.

Thanks for the heads up on the YHM I was getting ready to order one, that I planned to use with the low #22's. I wonder if yours is just over speck or over finished?

It doesn't look like it is overfinished.

I wouldn't know if it is out of spec. But I just measured the width and the YHM is within the Picatinny specs. I just can't measure the other dimensions.

BTW, the ARMS #22's work fine with the flattop upper's rails. It's just not working properly with the YHM.

If you really want to use the YHM and have QD capability, you can get the rings that Pac Man uses or the IOR QD rings. You just won't get that snazzy flip the levers and you can take it off (like you would with a properly set up ARMS#22).