Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

syrac ordnance Gas block on jp rifle?

RickeyT

So Ive been looking at getting a jp rifle built. Either psc 11 or scr 11. I planed to get the medium contour 18 in barrel but saw that I couldnt get the Syrac Ordnance gas block on the medium contour barrel. Syrac Ordnance gas block only fit the light contour barrel. Im new to ar rifles and like that the syrac ordnance gas block because it locks in place when you adjust it. Is this a big deal or not...? or are the low profile jp gas blocks just as good?

I would like to get a suppressor eventually but this would be a long way down the road. just dont want to spend money down the raod if it isnt necessary

JP gets sound reviews for most, if not all, of their products around here. I have a personal preference for how the Syrac blocks work and have two of them. When I've considered a JP rifle or upper before, I've always thought of the 18" lightweight barrel. Problem solved, for my expected use case.....not sure about your use case.

is that because of the locking mechanism? or are they just better? I have read that you need to use loctite when you adjust your gas block but does it hold? or is it just a convenience to adjust the gas block and know its locked in place? How often do you adjust the gas block?

plan on using the rifle for three gun but would also like to sit down and shoot silhouettes or other comps. It will be my only ar so I figured i would go with the medium contour to get a little more accuracy.

True punisher said the same thing jp customer service said.... Part of me just thinks if there isnt a difference then why does JP himself shoot the medium contour? and why would they still offer it....? To most this is a stupid fight but I just want to be sure I get every possible advantage I can....

are the low profile jp gas blocks just as good? Yes they are, you just use a little little bit of blue loctite.

The JP gas block is accessible from the side and the JP/Syrac is from the front.

You will most likely have two setting when shooting with and without a can.

Either way you go is good, hey JP sells them both. Get what you want.

The heavier barrel is what some like and I've had one and when I'm shooting multigun I didn't notice the little extra weight.

However I did get the scr with the light barrel and JP/Syrac gas block, thats what I wanted and now I know thats what I like.

Well, I'd go for the clamp on model.

The Syrac and JP gas blocks all clamp on.

is that because of the locking mechanism? or are they just better? I have read that you need to use loctite when you adjust your gas block but does it hold? or is it just a convenience to adjust the gas block and know its locked in place? How often do you adjust the gas block?

I set my gas to run on all the cartridges I'll run in that gun. I will run 55, 69 and havnt had the chance to use 77 grain yet but the gas is set to run all three with an additional twist of more gas to give me the warm and fuzzy. The JP rifle will come with instructions on how to set the gas block along with break in for the barrel and other stuff as well.

Edited by Scott Steele

Thank you Scott. how often do u adjust your gas block?

I have a Syrac on my AR15 that I built for long range field based team matches. It works great and adjusts easy enough. I've got it bottomed all the way out to as little gas as it will let though. Runs solid with the suppressor attached. Take the suppressor off and it's a single shot gun. The only reason I would have to adjust it is if I had some issue with the suppressor and had to remove it. But I don't see that happened and I take a backup upper with me to these matches so I would just swap uppers.

Sorry about the double post.

Edited by Fried Chicken Blowout

Thank you Scott. how often do u adjust your gas block?

Once it's set I don't mess with it. I do set it up with little more gas than it needs just to error on the safer more reliable side so when I go to a match that is one thing that I won't have to worry about and I can concentrate on the stage breakdown.

How much does weather effect the gas block?

I live in Texas where the weather can change over 50 degrees every few days... It's 40 right now but could go up to 95 next week... Would I have to adjust the gas block to keep the gun running? I would like to use the adjustable gas block to my advantage and have a flat soft shooter but I want it to function as well....

JP and Syrac both have clamp and set screw styles, get the clamp ones. Weather DOES affect gas volume and many people have found out the hard way. I've seen locktite adjustment screws fail too. As the gun ages, the dynamics and gas volume will change some.

My understanding is, last large shoot here in TX, ( I was there but wasn't able to shoot) several shooters ended up with single fire AR's because they had adjusted their gas blocks for warm WX and a TX cold front came through. The people on here from Alaska have written several times on lower 48 shooters who come north to shoot and end up with single shot AR's too.

You have to understand, a race gun is a lot like a race car. You would never go to say, a drag race and not dial in fuel/air adjustment for temp/humidity/pressure. Those that neglect to do so are known as "losers." Same with a race gun. Your gas block is dialed in to the ammo you run, and the ambient temp. This combination gives you the softest shooting rifle possible for those conditions. Now if you go to a cold shoot, the adjustment for the softest shooting possible in warm wx could get you in trouble. No big deal IMO, just open up the gas block for the conditions or ammo currently in use.

If this is too much trouble, too much to think about, too much risk, or you just don't like to do that, run a non adjustable/milspec gas block and be content with the way it shoots. They are always over gassed, and it lets them function in nearly any temp/environment, and with nearly any ammo. There are very good shooters who prefer non-adjustable gas blocks and win a lot of stuff. I can think of one right here on this board.

Just because you run a non-adjustable gas block does not mean there aren't adjustments to be made either. You still have choices you can make with ammo, spring, buffer to obtain a softer shooting rifle.

Hope this helps, rather than muddies the water for you.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Thank you for the responses. This all helps me but I still havent decided.... One more question. Which one would you choose if you wanted to run a suppressor latter? Right now im really leaning toward the syrac simply because its easier to adjust if I have to and less likely to fail on me.... (screw back out) Also if I need to adjust or simply want to I dont need to worry about loctite... One less thing to worry about.... I dont know decisions decisions decisions....