Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transitions & Splits?

gary2232

I am working on my dry fire drills. I am using Refinement and Repetition by Steve Anderson. In this dry fire drill book he refers to transitions and splits? To me they are one in the same? Can anybody explain the diffrence if there is a diffrence?

I interpret transition as moving f rom one target to the next, splits not so sure. Or is transition from holster to first target???? Then lit to next target????

So far I really like the book it gives some direction so you do not get lazy or board with the dry fire thing. Thinks for any replays.

Splits are done with the trigger on one target.

Transition are measured on the last shot on one target to the first shot on a different target.

I try to make my transition as fast as my splits on targets that are close together. Try is the key word.

Splits are done with the trigger on one target.

Transition are measured on the last shot on one target to the first shot on a different target.

I try to make my transition as fast as my splits on targets that are close together. Try is the key word.

Ok that makes sense to me now... Thank you. Now all I have too do is be as fast with my transitions as I am with my splits! Thanks

Splits are the time between shots. Doesn't have to be on one target it's just the time between any given shots. Transitions are specifically the time between targets.

This.

When your sights lift, if the next target is somewhat close to the one you were just engaging, it should take you no more time to settle your sights on that target then the next.To do that you need to call you shot good, then immediatly move to the next target when the shot breaks.

A great way to speed up transitions in dry fire is to pull the trigger at a set speed and force yourself to get on the new target before the trigger pull occurs. It's a speed mode drill and can be done with a metronome dictating trigger speed. Set the metronome a little slower until you can get on the new target without stopping the trigger pull.

You'll likely find you NEED to lead to the new target instead of following the gun across to the new target. Interesting. :)

• 2 weeks later...

A great way to speed up transitions in dry fire is to pull the trigger at a set speed and force yourself to get on the new target before the trigger pull occurs. It's a speed mode drill and can be done with a metronome dictating trigger speed. Set the metronome a little slower until you can get on the new target without stopping the trigger pull.

You'll likely find you NEED to lead to the new target instead of following the gun across to the new target. Interesting. :)

Oh I like this idea. I can shoot pretty fast on the same target, but have always had a problem getting to the next target.

Thanks

It's interesting to really get the trigger going with a metronome (in dry fire) , then as the gun is firing essentially full auto, learn to move it to the new target AS it is firing.

This has an interesting way of increasing sense of urgency, but you have to be willing to let go of what you think you know... :)

The metronome should have been obivious to me, as I used to play guitar, and spent hour after hour speeding up the metronome to build speed with scales, and chord changes. I find my fastest comfort zone, then push faster, back off, push, back off, and this yield faster and faster comfort zones. Geez...why wouldn't it work with a firearm???? :surprise:

haven't got to do yet, but there's no question it will work.

Just tried the metronome, now I need some pointers. I placed two upper A-zones 3 feet apart, I was about 5 back, small room. So first thing I noticed was I could just swing back and forth at nice even pace and pull the trigger, but this isn't what I do when shooting. When shooting, I get to the target, stop and pull the trigger, move on. Trying that with the metronome I had to move considerably faster to get to the next target. Either way I'm stopping on the target because I have to go back in the other direction. So how do you GM's actually shoot? What rhythm should I be using?

Thanks for your book(I got it for Christmas) and this advice Steve.

• 2 months later...

Great drill to push your self and help realize that you can see and move faster. Just be careful not to drop the fundamentals of calling every shot in order to get to the trigger pull.

A year ago i experianced a big drop in acuracy. i realized that during dry fire i had unintentionally train myself to look to next target to early (after visual confirmation of proper sight alignment, but bfore breaking the shot). It was difficult to retrain. So what I'm saying is use the metronome or par timer, but hold tight to the fundamentals and be honest with your self.

It's interesting to really get the trigger going with a metronome (in dry fire) , then as the gun is firing essentially full auto, learn to move it to the new target AS it is firing.

This has an interesting way of increasing sense of urgency, but you have to be willing to let go of what you think you know... :)

Thanks for the tip. Made a rough sunday evening so we will have to see if it helped tomorrow at the range.