Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Star set up

9x23

Here's the set up I'm wondering about and if it's even a legal target presentation.

Set the * with the top plate painted white and set at 11 o'clock.

The 2 o'clock plate painted black and is a non-shoot target.

The 9 o'clock plate painted black and is a non-shoot target.

The 7 o'clock plate painted white is a shoot target.

The 4 o'clock plate painted white is a shoot target.

You could shoot all 5 plates and still come out with a positive score, but it would cost you a little more time.

Would this be a viable presentation or just a pain in the butt?

9x

I realize my clock references are not exactly accurate of the *, but you get the idea.

I don't have a rulebook here, but can not see why this would be illegal (no different than setting up other steel no-shoots). However, you would have to leave the entire star open (unlike the Area 3 star). Otherwise, if the shooter took off the 4 o'clock and 7 o'clock plates, the 2 o'clock and 9 o'clock plates would end up on the bottom leaving the 11 o'clock plate behind hardcover. Then, you would definately have a problem..... 'is this a disappearing target or not?' :wacko: Of course, if you did not see the A3 star set-up, then this may not make sense anyway.....

As for would this be a pain in the butt..... yes...... (for one thing scoring steel no-shoots can be a little tricky)..... ;)

In the past, we/the club has set up the star with one plate painted blue at 12 o'clock position that has to be shot last. We have also placed an array of no shoot targets covering all but the bottom 2 plates. either one of those senarios throws a big loop into the difficulty of the star.

In the past, we/the club has set up the star with one plate painted blue at 12 o'clock position that has to be shot last. We have also placed an array of no shoot targets covering all but the bottom 2 plates. either one of those senarios throws a big loop into the difficulty of the star.

I thought all steel (shoot) targets had to be the same color? And that you couldn't dictate an engagement order (not freestyle). :(

9x23

Your setup seems legal. Would you make the "non-shoot targets" hardcover or no-shoot (penalty) targets?

Flex,

I would make them no-shoots just to give the mathematical option. Such as shooting the top-right-left-right-left to keep the star in a semi motionless pattern, your score could still be positive if you can still give steel plates a 10 point value.

I don't know if you can though.

9x

1. Remember, the front one is hard cover.

2. No, I don't shoot at Satan's Range, but "Psychotic B@$t@rd" is a compliment at our range.

It seems that a good portion of the most fiendish stage props and gimicks come out of our club. Judging from the popularity of our matches in the area, they must be pretty entertaining. :D

[thread drift mode]

Black Dragon,

Are you guys going to have a match to coincide with the SHOT Show in January? It would give us an excuse to bring our gear.

[/thread drift mode]

Liota

The same six idiots who do all the work in San Angelo were pretty burned out. Running the Texas State 3-Gun for the last few years has been...rehabilitative :) That said, the 2005 TX 3-Gun will be in May of 2005 (match info is posted on the USPSA web site), and we are planning on throwing a pure pistol match in late October/early November 2005.

With lots of Texas Stars :ph34r:

Alex

It may defeat the purpose, but I think an immobile TX* would present enough of a challenge.

Wait, you know what would be sweet? The L and R horizontal arms propped up on black (hardcover) poppers. Miss and hit a popper and the star begins to turn.