Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 slide stop notch worn

kamikaze1a

Just started practicing with my SVI. Hope to run L10 with it in 2013 but I bought it used so I need to work out a few bugs.

I am finding that the slide does not lock back reliably and if it does, the slide will sometimes drop when the mag is dropped. I swapped out the original slide stop with a new 1911 part because the original was filed to not lock back but the previous owner shot Limited. I shoot L10 and prefer that it locks back.

The notch in the slide looks a little rounded but I believe it is more that the stop is not fully engaging into the notch. The mag tubes are clean internally, the mag springs appear to be good and not had any feeding problems so far. Looking at the tubes and followers, it seems that the follower does not always rest at the top of the travel so not pushing up the stop fully.

Do I need to "adjust" the tubes? Different followers? Replace the springs?

You can swap out the springs and followers then adjust from there. Sometimes you have to work on the slide stop or the follower or both to get it to lock back reliably.

Or, try and borrow mags and see how they work in your gun and adjust your mags accordingly.

Sound like the equipment was used. If it were mine, I'd replace the mag internals and go from there. Each mag and internals should be fitted individually and those parts kept together once you're done. I'd also go with 13 coil springs for L-10 to get the slide stop to lock back.

Thanks! No shock buffer and it is used but still very tight. I bought it from a buddy who was FAST! He stopped competing before the ten limit law kicked in. He sold it to me with several double stack 140mm mags and I bought limiter inserts to conform.

The slide locks back better when firing than when cycling by hand and some mags better than others...

I will try new springs. What followers should I buy? I have seen some that were Teflon?

I don't think the notch in your slide is your problem. Pull the slide stop out and use a stone to smooth the backside of the lever where it contacts the side of the receiver, I've seen some slidestops that were really rough in this area. After that take a piece of 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper and smooth the slidestop pin. This will remove almost nothing from the diameter of the pin, but gets rid of any rough spots. I have even polished the inside of the slot on the slidestop with a piece of the same sandpaper wrapped around a thin needle file. This has cured most slidestop problems I've run across when the mag followers are in good shape. One other thing to check is that the diameter of the slidestop pin is not a bit oversize and binding in the frame, although this is pretty rare and the polishing of the pin usually takes care of that.