Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 GAP

AH6IP

i read that you can finally use those win NT cases and make GAP brass...

I guess somebody with a case trimmer and lots of time could make them from 45 acp, they would just have regular large pistol primers.

i find the gap a neat round, kinda sucks IDPA doesnt approve it for CDP, but i bet idpa thinks it sucks that i dont approve of them.

im gonna try to win me a G37 at the october GSSF match in princeton LA

should make a good l10 gun, or limited if you are a reload god.

I guess somebody with a case trimmer and lots of time could make them from 45 acp

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. To start with, it would require a LOT of work since (1) the .45 GAP casing is shorter than the .45 ACP thus would require trimming, (2) the case rim is rebated thus would require turning down, and (3) the lead-in (what Winchester calls the point inside the brass where it starts to angle in to form the web) starts lower thus would require case reaming. Finally....

they would just have regular large pistol primers.

(4) BAD idea. According to Ernest Durham, the ammunition development engineer at Speer who designed the .45 GAP, the reason they went to a small instead of large pistol primer was so the stripper rail (the portion of the underside of the slide that depresses the top cartridge in the magazine when the slide is forward, and strips a round out of the magazine during feeding) wouldn't hit the primer and detonate it with the action open.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, here's an update. I got me one of them G37's, and let me tell ya, it is my favorite pistol-period. Man this thing shoots so good right out of the box. And, it just feels right. Of course, I had to add some custom touches, like front cocking serrations, stippling the frame, Heinie sights, trigger job, etc,etc. (wish I could post a pic) As far as reloading, it's a piece of cake. You can sure make some soft shooting loads and still make major with this gun. And it feels real nice, tracks oh so good. It all makes sense to me now. I use all my .45 ACP components for reloading except for .40 primers. A perfect L10 gun, or tactical/3 gun blaster!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's some recent info on the .45GAP:

"The Glock 37 [.45 GAP] was totally reliable in our testing, the most accurate gun, and by far the most affordable [compared to the STI Lawman .45 ACP & the Springfield Loaded .45 ACP]." -- Gun-Tests.com; Vol 16, No 12, Dec 2004.

Just pulled the following info off of the glocktalk.com forum, in the bull dawg's section:

"In the January 2005 issue of Guns & Ammo on page 67 is a note with photo of a Springfield Armory Micro in .45 GAP.

The note reads:

The plain-Jane GI-45 Springfield 1911 has sold very well since its introduction, partly due to nostalgia but more so because it is a solid, reliable 1911 at a great price. Springfield now offers a high-capacity version with a double-stack 13-round magazine. It comes with a parkerized finish and the other no-nonsense mil-spec features of the single-stack version. It was just a matter of time before someone chambered a 1911-type handgun in the new .45 GAP cartridge, and just as we go to press Springfield has announced that a 3-inch-barreled Micro 1911 in .45 GAP will be offered sometime in 2005. I had a chance to shoot a prototype of this model, and with 1/8 inch trimmed off the grip thickness and overall length compared to .45 ACP variations, it is a petite and potent package.

{emphasis added}"

www.45gap.com

• 4 weeks later...

I have to chime in here again. I have had a great time developing loads for the 45GAP. Here are a couple of loads that show no signes of high preasure and are more the just close to or equil to my belovid 45ACP.

1) Powder Accurate Arms #5 9.0grs

Primer Federal small pistol

Brass Star

Bullet Hornady XTP 185grs

Seat to an OAL of 1.066

Standard velocity 1035fps

2) Powder Accurate Arms #5 8.2grs

Brass Star

Bullet Hornady XTP 200grs

Seat to an OAL of 1.085

Standard velocity 1047fps

3) Powder Titegroup 4.9grs

Brass Speer Once fired

Bullet Remington 185 Golden Saber

Seat to an OAL of 1.089

Standard velocity 886fps

4) Powder Titegroup 5.1grs

Brass Speer Once fired

Seat to an OAL of 1.089

Standard velocity 929fps

5) Powder Titegroup 5.3grs

Brass Speer Once fired

Seat to an OAL of 1.089

Standard velocity 989fps

Unofficial Early Jan. 2005 Shot Show Announcement: I've heard from three different reliable sources that Glock plans on announcing two new .45 GAP pistols: the compact Glock 38 (eight rounds) and the subcompact Glock 39 (six rounds). The new .45GAP pistols will be equivalent to the M23 and M27 but with a slightly heavier slide. The medium size Glock 37 (10 rounds) has been on the market for a little over a year now -- sales began in Sep. 2003.

Why buy the G37? I was looking for a more powerful self defense and IDPA gun instead of a 9mm (I've got a G19 and G34). Wanted a 45 but the G21 was too big for my hands. I bought the G37 and added 45 ACP dies and a quick change kit to my 550B. Bought a Don Hume holster, 2000 Starline brass, 2000 West Coast 200gr FP, WSP primers, and 8lbs Titegroup. Merry Christmas to me! It's not a 1911 but a lot more fun to shoot than my 9s.

• 3 weeks later...