Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel

a matt

I have always been careful about getting sloppy on steel (it is easy to just blast for a hit, which can haunt your later).

That said, it takes a load of time to reset a Texas Star. I don't see a whole lot of benefit from making that my "only one". A plate rack is often good, for a variety of drills.

Perhaps even better, is some free standing steel plates, that you can arrange in any manner that you like? Our local club has some with fold up legs, which would make them transportable. You could set them up like a plate rack (small/even mini-transitions), arrange them like any steel Challenge stage... the options are endless, really.

If I had a private range...I would certainly like to work on transition skills. I would use both, but I think a plate rack would be much faster to re-set. However, I would do what Rob Leatham does, use static targets as well.

Check out these video's by Rob Leatham for some ideas.

I'm also sure you've heard of the infamous Hickock45. You could set some steel up like him...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLACC6395250FA8BEE

Edited by polizei1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have some 8" and 10" steel plates that I hang on an 6' iron rod with a hook welded to the top. I simply bang the rod into the ground where I want and set up all manner of steel practice drills incl SC stages that don't use the rectangular plates ... Quick and easy and doesn't take up much room to transport to the range ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Static plates and paper work for me. Star is too time consuming and really, is just a plate rack anyway.

The star and Polish are not difficult to shoot once you have shot a few of them and understand they demand using the sights.