Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pachmayr Grips with Finger Grooves Legal for Single Stack?

JGus

I'm thinking about shooting Single Stack. Right now it's mainly Limited with the occasional Production shoot.

I've got all the gear to shoot Single Stack. But, I've scoured the internet and USPSA rules and I can't find if these types of grips (Pachmayr Rubber Finger Groove grips) are legal or not?

See pic below. Two of my 1911's in the pic that I may use have the Pachmayr rubber finger grips.

Thanks for your input.

1911s.jpg

Legal? Yes

Optimal?: No

Most shooters don't use finger-groove grips, if it is an option. A non-bumpy grip is easier to get a consistent grip on, because if it is just slightly off, up or down, it's no big whoop. If a finger-grooved gun is gripped a millimeter or two high or low, you will DEFINITELY feel it and the grip must be corrected before you can really shoot.

About the only shooters that you'll see with them are people who are forced to use them (Production Division Glock Gen3/Gen4 shooters are most-common). That's one of the big reasons that some other designs have opted to NOT use grooves (XD-M and M&P come to mind).

Try them out, the biggest issue with finger grooves is that different shooters have different sized hands. If the grooves dont fit the shooters hand, then try out some different grips. If you like them, shoot them. Great thing about grips is that you can change them until you find the set you really like.... then you can change them again.

Yeah, I've had the finger groove grips on these 1911's for quite awhile. For me they really work great. I prefer them over the G10 grips I've tried. I've got big hands so they enlarge the grip area for me which helps me get a better grip.