Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Setback

DRobson

I was setting my up my 650 back up for 9mm and got the idea to test for setback. I made a test rounds with MG and PD 124JHP's. I was able to push the bullet back in by pushing them against the bench. My main questions is. Should I be worried even though I had to push so hard I left primer pocket imprints in my hand? I've never had a problem while shooting and i've never had any issues with rechambering a round multiple times. If this is a problem what should I do to correct this? Undersize die? Modify powder drop funnel? Thanks for any help.

Should I be worried even though I had to push so hard I left primer pocket imprints in my hand? Yes, you should not be able to push a bullet into a case, period.

If this is a problem what should I do to correct this? Undersize die? Yes. The EGW Udie is the cure. It's cheap insurance.

Should I be worried even though I had to push so hard I left primer pocket imprints in my hand? Yes, you should not be able to push a bullet into a case, period.

If this is a problem what should I do to correct this? Undersize die? Yes. The EGW Udie is the cure. It's cheap insurance.

Definitely! http://www.egwguns.com/undersized-reloading-dies/

I will go ahead and order the EGW die. What about the Dillon powder funnel? I seem to recall reading something on here about slightly turning down the part of it that goes into the case(not the tapered part). In my mind that would undo anything that the U die does. Am I just way off on this idea or what? Oh and is the Lee U die the same thing?

Edited by DRobson

The EGW is made by LEE. The LEE version does size smaller but the EGW version has the base shaved down so it sizes lower on the case which will help with any bildging that may have occured.

Turning down the funnel a little will make the press run smoother as the funnel will not stick in the case mouth as bad. You don't want to take too much off though as it can create seating issues. i.e. for me it caused bullets to be seated off center when I got carried away with turning mine down.

The Dillon funnel shouldn't be an issue. I think you could put that die (Udie that is) into station one and you would be good to go. Case lube is your friend. I do like the lanolin in the cases the best though. I put a bit of pure on my hands and run them through the bag of tumbled cases. It seems to put just enough of the lanolin on them but not too much.

JZ

Thanks for the help. I went ahead and ordered the EGW die and will see what happens. I've loaded almost 3k rounds on the dillon and never thought to test for setback. I guess getting ready to start loading 9 major has be checking everything. Hopefully the EGW die is the answer.