Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training Wheels For an Open Gun

Lifeislarge

Hey guys, I just picked up this Ruger 22/45 with a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on it and had the idea that it might be an okay training device for an eventual move to an open gun. Like most guys fairly new to the sport I watch the Open gunners and it looks like a lot of fun, but I'm not willing to spend the dough on a whim just to give it a shot. The gun is brand new never fired and came with the optic (a cheapie but it should serve a purpose) and I'm only into it all together for $300.

It has the 5.5" target barrel on it and I figure it might be a good way to get used to looking through a red dot on a pistol without the expense of good ammo and an open build. I've shot a friends open gun once and all I saw was the dot shaking so I put it away and left it at that. Has anyone gone this route or am I just wasting my time (not that shooting anything is a waste of time). I may end up getting a better optic for it but I'll try it for now as it is. I'm pretty sure mag changes and draws are similar to my Limited rig other than the holster so for me it's all about the damn dot.

post-41423-0-86533100-1354309401_thumb.j

post-41423-0-69565000-1354309428_thumb.j

Eric, it's a great way to get used to the dot.

That takes some practice - to acquire the dot quickly, especially.

Nice, inexpensive way to get started - if you don't like it, you'll

probably get back most of your money for the .22 - if not, you'll

have a great .22 :cheers:

+1, make your practice targets smaller, adding difficulty to compensate for the lack of recoil. You won't want to sell it, lots of fun valuable trigger time at a fraction of the cost.

• 4 weeks later...

Newbie rules for open shooting:

1. Look at the target, see the dot secondarily.

2. Don't try to make the dot stop completely.

3. Learn to call your shots by seeing the dot lift. If you can see where the dot lifted from, that is where your bullet went. Do that a lot.

4. Rounds downrange will teach you all you need to know, but you must decide that you will learn something from every shot.

Edited by Steve Anderson