Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL and bullet shape

BobS761

After spending an entire evening perusing the forum, I always have more questions than answers. In another post, I mentioned feeding, and malfunction issues with my XDm .40 4.5. Per the advice received, I found our seating die got out of adjustment and wound up with long rounds. So, now I'm really thinking about OAL. More research and I learned about sizing for my chamber, different bullet shapes, head space, etc.

Here's the question, does anyone have recommendations for OAL using cast Lee 175 grain tumble lube bullets? My goal was to make minor PF with 3.0 gr Clays at 1.125 OAL, a load recommended here. Obviously, the cast bullets are not round nose. Factory FMG plop in the chamber and fall right out, but our reloads kinda stick just a little. So, maybe load just a little shorter, due to the bullet profile?

We cast our bullets for economic reasons. Four shooters in my family, and nobody made of money. Plus Dad has a good stash of lead. So, I really want to make this work. If it matters, we have 1 XD Tactical, and 3 XDm 4.5's. All stock.

Thanks,

B

Part of the problem with the reloaded rounds partially sticking may be swelled brass, .40S&W brass many times will need to be GR'd - or the similiar Lee set up or case pro'd to function well. This comes from the oversize chambers in stock Glock barrels, although the late models don't seem quite as bad as the early .40 S&W Glocks.

Edited by Steve RA

All our brass runs through the bulge buster, just in case. We had some rounds that were defiantly too long, and would stick, but fit in case gauge. That was a learning moment, because my dad thought the gauge was only for diameter. But, even at 1.125, there is just a little stickiness. I'm wondering if maybe we should go 1.115 OAL.

It appears that you have a similar bullet profile to what I loading for my XDM. Have you figured out what your max OAL that you can load is yet? Also what is your crimp at? My load is at 1.132 OAL and a crimp at .420.

EDIT:

With a crimp at .420 I do have the occasional round that will hang or stick when I drop check them in the barrel. I have yet to have one not function through the gun having said that. What I'm saying is I don’t think your OAL is the issue. You should be short enough as it sits.

Edited by Agney5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"What is your crimp at"?

How does one measure your crimp?

Thanks!

It appears that you have a similar bullet profile to what I loading for my XDM. Have you figured out what your max OAL that you can load is yet? Also what is your crimp at? My load is at 1.132 OAL and a crimp at .420.

EDIT:

With a crimp at .420 I do have the occasional round that will hang or stick when I drop check them in the barrel. I have yet to have one not function through the gun having said that. What I'm saying is I don’t think your OAL is the issue. You should be short enough as it sits.

Edited by Bootis

I'm loading Berry 165 grain plated bullets to 1.15 oal for my XDM 5.25. This is a flat point bullet and the limitation is magazine size, much over 1.165 and the bullets hang up in the magazine. All of my brass goes through a Lee bulge buster before reloading.

Have you tried sending your finished rounds through the full length resizer?

Craig

Instead of using a chamber guage, I use the barrel of my pistol to determine the longest overall length. Using a resized, unprimed piece of brass, load the bullet that you instead to shoot. Remember to bell the case before seating. No powder, please. Continue to lengthen the cartridge until it you feel it touch the rifleing. Back it off several thousands, and your done.

Check to make sure it fits in the magazine and will cycle in the pistol. You may want to have a gunsmith cut into the rifleing to relieve any problem if you load your cartridge long.

Make sure the crimp is several thousands smaller, just enough to remove the bell.