Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uber light AR-15 Bolt carriers?

PursuitSS

Does anyone know if anyone is offering (or going to offer) an Aluminum or Titanium bolt carrier again?

I've owned both a Smith Enterprises Aluminum carrier and a Progressive Machine & Tool Titanium carrier in the past.

I'm currently running a J.P. Enterprises LMOS Carrier

Progressive Machine & Tool Titanium Carrier

DSCF0151.jpg

Smith Enterprises Aluminum Carrier

Picture002.jpg

J.P. Enterprises LMOS Carrier

Picture004.jpg

I don't know.

I'm guessing thats the older JP Aluminum BCG. Any idea what the newer SS low mass BCG that they offer weighs in at? I've been running the Young Manufacturing Super Light BCG, I wonder what that comes in at as well.

The photos are labeled as to manufacturer. The Aluminum is a Smith Enterprises, the weight of the J.P. Enterprises QPQ Stainless carrier is 6.3 ounces, the newer units weigh 6.85 ounces.

I don't know.

I'm guessing thats the older JP Aluminum BCG. Any idea what the newer SS low mass BCG that they offer weighs in at? I've been running the Young Manufacturing Super Light BCG, I wonder what that comes in at as well.

The photos are labeled as to manufacturer. The Aluminum is a Smith Enterprises, the weight of the J.P. Enterprises QPQ Stainless carrier is 6.3 ounces, the newer units weigh 6.85 ounces.

Cool thanks. So that's an older SS JP carrier, and the newer SS ones are a shade heavier. Didn't they make an Aluminum one also? I'm guessing that one's even lighter.

I don't know.

Cool thanks. So that's an older SS JP carrier, and the newer SS ones are a shade heavier. Didn't they make an Aluminum one also? I'm guessing that one's even lighter.

They did offer an Aluminum carrier several years ago.

IIRC, the weight was close to the Smith Enterprise Aluminum carrier.

Is that Smith Enterprises aluminum carrier a new product? I couldn't find it on their web site.

No, it's around 25 years old.

How many rounds do you have on that 25y old Al carrier?

Probably no more than 1,000 rounds. What gets torn up on the Aluminum carriers is the area where the hammer rides as the carrier cycles.