Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wow, I made my first lower receiver assembly.

michael1778

Tonight, I made a bold step and assembled my own lower assembly from parts. This is a huge step for me. I'm not very handy. If it actually works, I'll be very happy.

The upper is my 16" barreled Carbon Arms upper from earlier this year. I've taken a strong liking to it and have made it my primary rifle.

Parts list:

• Firebird stripped lower
  • JP lower parts kit (without trigger stuff)
  • Magpul MOE rifle stock, black
  • Magpul trigger guard, black
  • JP captured buffer and spring (sounds very different than the mil-spec version)
  • DPMS extension tube
  • AR Gold trigger
  • Ergo tactical grip, black

I hope I can get it to the local indoor range for basic function testing with ammo tomorrow or the next day.

The drop-in trigger and JP captured spring made for fewer assembly steps than Milspec.

-- Mike

post-35819-0-05002600-1354074038_thumb.j

post-35819-0-41422500-1354074048_thumb.j

post-35819-0-98734100-1354074062_thumb.j

Be very, very careful. Building ARs can become addictive very fast. After a few onesies and twosies I ordered five stripped lowers and now only have one left. Unfortunately there are several varients on my wsh list. Also there is the "Whisper" issue to deal with that should be good for at least one rifle, maybe three.

Building uppers can be fun too. I bought a cheapie kit a few years ago to experiment with and learn from. It turned into a sub MOA rifle that I eventually sold for a lot of money (should have kept it) but the barrel was the orriginal from the kit.

Good luck and have fun.

Thank you all. I'll have a range report tomorrow, I hope.

The compensator on that barrel is the Firebird model found on this page. The production ones have the QPQ finish, like mine.

http://firebirdpreci...id=25&Itemid=38

The Firebird seems effective based on my own subjective experience as well as outside observers watching me shoot. However, I think the Nordic Components Corvette compensator is very good (maybe better in some ways) for less cost. It is $50 list price, for goodness sake.

rangerguy, I'll be at the Dec 8th match. You can see the VM w/ XRAIL in action then. Heck, I'd be happy to let you borrow it for a stage if you'd like. I suggest Stage 6......no reloading! ;)

Edited by michael1778