Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Difference Between a Case Guage and a Chamber Checker?

sasquatch981

So I have borrowed a buddies LE Wilson Case Guage to use while setting up a 1050 to prep .223 brass, and I have an EGW Chamber Checker Guage. Here is the set-up.

Universsal Decapper

Swage

Empty

Size and Trim with 1200

Empty

Neck Size to clear any shavings.

Now when I use the Wilson Case guage 90% of the rounds drop right in and fall out when turned over. The neck is trimmed to just below the edge of the rim. Some rounds (5%) when inserted fall in, but the last 1/8 to 3/16 of the case is still sitting above the flat edge. A gentle push will then seat the round in the guage, again measuring the proper length, but I need to "poke" them out of the guage gently. I would say may 1-2 cases per 100 or so simply will not fit the guage at all.

I run these same checked rounds through my EGW chamber checker and I seem to get the same results.

When I load these rounds, they shoot fine out of my MSAR, and Buddies AR with Noveske Barrel. However when I borrowed a buddies Colt CRP-18 for a local 3-gun match, it worked fine for 6-rounds, then turned into a bolt action. Borrowing another rifle, the same ammo worked fine the rest of the day.

So, what am I doing wrong, and what do I need to do to make the brass dependable in "every" rifle I might shoot just like factory ammo would?

The brass used is mixed once fired. Any help would be appreciated.

Is your EGW gauge 5.56 or .223? The .223 is tighter (I have used both). Case gauges like the Dillon just check for case dimensions and are not a true chamber gauge. What fits a case gauge may not fit a chamber gauge. I would say that the Colt has a tight chamber. You will probably have to invest in a full length sizing die. I tried the neck sizer followed by the RT1200, but found my reloads were more consistent when using a full length resizing die...

what do I need to do to make the brass dependable in "every" rifle I might shoot just like factory ammo would?

The brass used is mixed once fired.

I also use range brass.

I've always used a small base die when loading for my AR's until it started scratching cases. (my fault for being lazy and not cleaning it) I replaced it with a full length die I had on the shelf and started having the same issues in two of my rifles with tight cambers. I bought another sb die and problems went away.

Dillon full length (i use a carbide just 'cause) with neck expander/decapper in station one, do 90% of the sizing there. Then the final 10% in the trim die. No need for the neck die after the trim. Then in the loading head use the swage holddown rod for a slight bell and removing the inside burr. After seating remove the bell.with a tiny crimp....

Try it you may like it...

jj

I do something very close to this. Tool head 1 is the same, except I use a Lee universal expander in station 5 to very slightly flare the mouth. In tool head 2, station 1 has a Lee universal decapping die to simply remove any leftover cleaning media.

Dillon full length (i use a carbide just 'cause) with neck expander/decapper in station one, do 90% of the sizing there. Then the final 10% in the trim die. No need for the neck die after the trim. Then in the loading head use the swage holddown rod for a slight bell and removing the inside burr. After seating remove the bell.with a tiny crimp....

Try it you may like it...

jj

Edited by MickB

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a problem with resizing then trimming to desired length? I'm just curious because I've seen a lot of people saying they trim then size.

Also, here is my process let me know if there are any glaring problems:

(All cases cleaned and lubed first using dillon case lube)

Deprime/resize (rcbs small base die)

Trim to length (~1.745)

Swage mil brass (dillon super swage)

Chamfer and debur case mouth (by hand or with rcbs case center)

- toss prepped brass in tumbler 15-30 min to clean off lube -

Then load them up with the various bullet/powder/oal recipes I am trying out

As a side note I have been using federal small rifle primers, does anyone know if they are any good. I use primarily fed in pistol and have had great results there but everywhere I looks has several thousand fed srp's but very little if any of any other brand.

Thanks for your help