Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 Magazine Tube Spring

Robbie

Does anyone, shooting a Mossberg 930 JM, cut their Mag Tube Spring? What length? I still have the uncut original spring but am currently using a Wolff Spring and cut it some. Just curious what everyone else is doing.

I've got a 930 with a choate plus 10 or whatever it is to give me 10 in the tube with a Wolff spring that I cut. Choate springs just dont last, they are super soft to load they just wear quickly I found with my shorter tube for USPSA matches. So now I run the Wolff springs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

in the quest for "better than good" I went with Nordic, trimmed to 9" beyond end of tube, and ran into issue of shell not being released with a full mag tube. Replaced with original spring, which is easier to load with, and issue went away. Will stay with original spring until it creates a problem. FWIW, am running a XXL cap for a 9+1 with 22" pipe.

Mark

Edited by mpom

The compression force of 12" of stock spring vs a Nordic spring is much different, due to much thinner wire used in stock spring. I would expect the stock spring should work with XL or even XXl caps as Mossberg uses the same spring in both JM versions, according to the tech I spoke with. Would not cut the original as it feels super soft compared to aftermarkets named above, so loading is easy, and a failure to feed may result. Not sure what is gained by going with the aftermarkets unless the original takes a set. Am open to be educated if I am missing something.

Mark

The compression force of 12" of stock spring vs a Nordic spring is much different, due to much thinner wire used in stock spring. I would expect the stock spring should work with XL or even XXl caps as Mossberg uses the same spring in both JM versions, according to the tech I spoke with. Would not cut the original as it feels super soft compared to aftermarkets named above, so loading is easy, and a failure to feed may result. Not sure what is gained by going with the aftermarkets unless the original takes a set. Am open to be educated if I am missing something.

Mark

My 930 started life as a stock shotgun, want a JM edition so my stock spring was too short

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2