Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

the solution would seem to be to make sure as the stages are designed that there is no mixing of the targets. Either have the slugs at the first of the stage or the end of the stage. The mix and match set up would seem to invite a mistake. reckon?

:cheers:

But that would be simple - and make sense... XD

the solution would seem to be to make sure as the stages are designed that there is no mixing of the targets. Either have the slugs at the first of the stage or the end of the stage. The mix and match set up would seem to invite a mistake. reckon?

:cheers:

But that would be simple - and make sense... XD

It would also dumb down the sport. Slugs, bird, and buckshot targets everywhere! Penalties and DQ's galore! Multiple optional shooting positions and line of sights! I personally like it when I am forced to use my brain during a stage. Thats part of the challenge, otherwise things get boring.

I again pose the question, is this topic a matter of safety? or a matter of not wanting to get DQed/have to lose $/etc etc etc?

If the question is answered with the former (which I think is the case), then why would we risk someone getting hurt in the name of complexity of the sport? I haven't ever had this problem in a match, but that doesn't mean I won't in the future....even the best 3 gunners out there can lose count of their load (I've seen it, and I'm sure many others have too)...is the slug on steel dangerous enough to warrant not mixing the 2 types of targets? - because it isn't a matter of "if someone is dumb and messes up", it's a matter of "when someone messes up".

I'm not necessarily in favor of removing slug targets from birdshot stages, they're fun and they add difficulty, but at what point does safety trump the level of fun you can have?

Okay, I'll weigh in. I don't mind slug targets (much), and I like options. There are some concessions that I think should be made for safety, that won't overly "dumb down" stages:

No slug shots on stages with flying clays. That's a no-brainer safety issue. Shooting steel with a slug is bad. Shooting neighbors with a slug is really bad.

Make birdshot targets on slug stages small knock-down plates or clays, not poppers or gongs, or any other ricochet hazard.

Design stages that can be shot with all of the slugs at the beginning or end of the stage. Don't force shooters that aren't comfortable with mixing shell types and counting rounds to do so. I'll admit that I hate shell mixing, and will take a longer slug shot to avoid it if I can.

Edited by dcloudy777

I again pose the question, is this topic a matter of safety? or a matter of not wanting to get DQed/have to lose $/etc etc etc?

If the question is answered with the former (which I think is the case), then why would we risk someone getting hurt in the name of complexity of the sport? I haven't ever had this problem in a match, but that doesn't mean I won't in the future....even the best 3 gunners out there can lose count of their load (I've seen it, and I'm sure many others have too)...is the slug on steel dangerous enough to warrant not mixing the 2 types of targets? - because it isn't a matter of "if someone is dumb and messes up", it's a matter of "when someone messes up".

I'm not necessarily in favor of removing slug targets from birdshot stages, they're fun and they add difficulty, but at what point does safety trump the level of fun you can have?

thank you, :bow:

Edited by 1chota

Okay, I'll weigh in. I don't mind slug targets (much), and I like options. There are some concessions that I think should be made for safety, that won't overly "dumb down" stages:

No slug shots on stages with flying clays. That's a no-brainer safety issue. Shooting steel with a slug is bad. Shooting neighbors with a slug is really bad.

Make birdshot targets on slug stages small knock-down plates or clays, not poppers or gongs, or any other ricochet hazard.

Design stages that can be shot with all of the slugs at the beginning or end of the stage. Don't force shooters that aren't comfortable with mixing shell types and counting rounds to do so. I'll admit that I hate shell mixing, and will take a longer slug shot to avoid it if I can.

:bow:

Perhaps if the stage designers put the slug targets at the very end of the stage and prohibited loading slugs at the start, it would prevent the safety/engagement problem???????

To me that kinda sounds like dumbing it down.I don't want to see match directors dumb it down. Hell I'd like to be able to shoot a popper with buckshot if it's got flipped clays on it to throw the clays further in the air to give more time on them.....but that's not happening

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Also cave in to box-fed guys. Flame suit on.

So is it dangerous to shoot KO steel or poppers at close range with a slug? Or is it not?

Reading this thread I'm reading some saying that it is unsafe and some saying that it isn't.

Personally whenever I've seen close steel shot with a slug nobody got hurt. But numerous times I've seen a big honkin' piece of slug flying off the target.

If it is dangerous and unsafe... I say DQ.

IMHO, poppers or other big, heavy, or stationary steel pose a very real ricochet hazard. Make hitting those with a slug a DQ offense, but also design stages where you would have make a bad, bad, really dumb mistake (or series of them), in order to hit one with a slug. Small knock-down targets or clays are much, much less of a ricochet hazard, make those a time + $ penalty.