Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone tried the Nikon Monarch VSD red dot?

Newguy

I've been looking at red dot sights and came across the Nikon VDS with an adjustable dot size. Since I can't find one in a local gun store to check out, I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. Specifically, I'm interested in the brightness of the dot and reliability. I'm also wondering if it might be a good alternative to the Aimpoint.

He may be interested in the Nikon primarily because of the variable dot size.

I have Tasco PDP5CMP with variable dot size and it's a great piece of gear. I don't think you can get them new anymore, but if you can find a used one, they're definitely something to consider.

Cabela's sells a multi-reticle dot scope for about $200 that is similar to the Nikon and Tasco in size, but it has four different patterns, similar to a Hakko (it may be made by Hakko for all I know).

The most cost effective multi-reticle or variable dot size scope is the Bushnell model #73-0134. It's about $80.

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/310814

The reason I'm interested in the Nikon is because of the variable dot size and the quality in the Nikon name. I had an Omni with a variable dot size that I really liked but it dropped dead and there's no place to repair it. I won't consider the Hakko since my Omni was made by Hakko. Besides, the Hakko's they're importing only have a 3 MOA.

Flex, you're right... it's not a bargain.

I'd also consider a PDP5 but they're impossible to find.

The Bushnell and the other cheaper stuff won't work since I'm hard on equipment and I want something that will hold up. I'll probably end up with the Aimpoint unless someone can convince me that the Nikon is a quality sight.

anybody tried using the BSA 30mm red dot sights? will it hold up to the round count we shoot in ipsc?

I had a BSA and it just wasnt' bright enough in full sunlight. Since I live in Arizona that was a major problem and I didn't keep it long enough to find out how durable it was.

-ld

The "new" cheap plastic Tasco's are probably similar to the BSA and I wouldn't be surprised if they were made in the same factory. The dot is more light/medium orange than red and I agree that it's not bright enough in direct sunlight. The old metal Tasco's are much better quality and have a brighter dot. The reason I'm interested in the Nikon is that it seems to be the only tube sight (other than Aimpoint) that may not be junk.

Not to hijack the thread, but since rhino brought it up... ;)

I've really got an itch to put a Leupold/Gilmore on an open gun. It looks like you could get it reeeeeally close to the slide with a custom mount. Though, I don't really have an idea of how big and heavy they are compared to an Aimpoint. Anyone ever try this? I've seen pictures of Koenig's gun but his mount is much higher than what I was thinking of.

Rhino, you're right about the Leupold-Gilmore and maybe the ADCO (I don't know enough about ADCO quality). But, Leupold discontinued the model (LG-35) and I don't know how they will support it if it needs repair.

Monster, the Leupold-Gilmore weighs 5.5 oz and and is 4 1/2" long. That's lighter than the Aimpoint at 6.5 oz. Other than Koenig, I don't know who else uses it on an open gun and I'm not sure why it didn't catch on.