Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder measure blows up

Last year I was loading on my old 650, my Dillon powder check starting chirping - sure enough the powder drop trickled to nothing over the course of a couple drops. I emptied the powder measure and there was a primer stuck in there - of course I have no idea how that happened. Earlier this week I had a primer light off on my 1050 which was a scary enough first for me. I can't imagine the powder measure going off sending me to the hospital nor can I imaging rapping stuck parts on my loader with a hammer. Glad the guy is generally doing OK and it's a flag for all of us to be safe while we practice our hobby.

The powder bar spacer in his photo is the teflon-coated alloy one. Why he didn't dump the powder out and look for a foreign object I don't know. While a few pistol/shotgun powders with a high nitroglycerin content can be ignited by a concentrated impact, having a primer in the powder is far more likely. We have seen some most unusual objects found jamming a powder measure up.

Primers (live and dead), bullets, brass cases, loaded cartridges are the most common.Small bolts,buttons (both locator and shirt) next, then it gets strange; dremel tool parts, insects (mostly wasps), small toys, small tools such as hex keys, sockets, detachable screwdriver bits, and projectiles accidently discharged into the powder measure. Being within reach of small children seems to play a big role.

I've had nightmares about a primer accidentally falling inside of the powder hopper and the pinching action of the lever setting the whole thing off.

Whenever I'm loading primers or there are primers loose on my bench for pickup - I check to see if my hopper is covered.

Relevant question - what happens if a live primer is inside of a cartridge and the cartridge is fired?

I found a live primer inside a piece of brass during resizing (the decapping pin hit it).

I'm almost sure the swaging station on a 1050 would sufficiently crush or set off a primer like that - had the pin missed it.

What would happen if it made it all the way into a gun and the trigger was pulled?

Edited by DyNo!