Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.5 CM question

caz41

My Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor has been fantastic. I started out working up loads with H4350, and 140/123AMAX bullets, and when I hit the Hornady suggested loads, I didnt need to go further as those loads were most accurate in my gun. (Hornady's old 123 load was H4350, now they suggest Varget, which I havent tried). It shoots 95gr VMAX at 3300fps, but not as accurately as the 140/123's.

I shot F-Class some with it this year, some local long distance matches, made hits out to 1200 yards. I've not had one regret on my caliber choice. I can walk into Cabelas, and most of the time, pick up match ammo if I need it. It prints about 2 inches higher at 600 yards than my loaded ammo, but in a pinch, it's great.

I'm not loading hot and I'm getting 5 reloads on the brass before the primer pockets get questionable, which isnt ideal to me. I recently fireformed some 22-250 Lapua brass to 6.5 Creedmoor. I hope to get a considerable amount more life ouf of the Lapua brass. If not, then back to Hornady i suppose.

Unless you get components cheap, through a sponsor or other avenue, it's probably worth buying the factory match ammo as a source for brass, then reloading the once fired brass. By the time you buy brass, powder and bullets, the loaded ammo isnt much more, especially if you find it on sale.

If the Lapua does not work out, that's what I'll be doing.

The Savage 12 LRP is not a walking gun though.. lol. It's heavy, with a bull barrel that's 1inch at the muzzle.

Edited by DWFAN

Follow the link in my sig line. You'll find all the info you need on my blog. Just got done building what started life as a light weight Savage 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Once completed, it shoots 0.4 MOA groups with factory Hornady 140gr ammo. Not sure what it would shoot in the factory Accu-Stock as I didn't even try it. It's a long multipart writeup.

Edited by Fried Chicken Blowout

Unless you get components cheap, through a sponsor or other avenue, it's probably worth buying the factory match ammo as a source for brass, then reloading the once fired brass. By the time you buy brass, powder and bullets, the loaded ammo isnt much more, especially if you find it on sale.

The Savage 12 LRP is not a walking gun though.. lol. It's heavy, with a bull barrel that's 1inch at the muzzle.

I totally agree with all statements above. Why someone would buy just the Hornady brass I'll never understand. I've got a huge order of 140gr Hornady ammo on back order via Brownell's that I bought for $19.99 a box with free shipping.

The gun shoots awesome and I'm completely happy with the caliber choice at this point because I can buy off the shelf ammo when needed and build my brass supply at the same time. I'll plan on loading over the summer after I get a good stockpile. I'm also planning on getting a GAP10 or similar AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoor at some point for long range team matches rather than using my current .223 AR15 that I've run for team matches. This caliber makes an excellent choice because it's so flexible between platforms.

Follow the link in my sig line. You'll find all the info you need on my blog. Just got done building what started life as a light weight Savage 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. Once completed, it shoots 0.4 MOA groups with factory Hornady 140gr ammo. Not sure what it would shoot in the factory Accu-Stock as I didn't even try it. It's a long multipart writeup.

Thanks, that was a great write up

No problem! Glad I could help. Savage makes 3 different 6.5 CM rifles. All of them would be great and Bud's Gun Shop stocks them all. The Model 12, as mentioned above, is not something you'd carry around hunting, but the other two are. If you're not going to do a suppressor compatible brake like I did, then I would suggest the model up from mine that has the integrated brake.

Savage 10 PRED HNTR 6.5" CREED MAX1

Savage 11LRH 6.5" CREED HF

Savage 12LRP 6.5" CREEDMOOR

The last one is not in stock and this year's model is all black with a fluted barrel. My buddy got one and had the same brake I'm using installed on it. It's a wicked sweet gun, but in stock form, is heavier then mine with a fully adjustable tactical style stock.

They make a couple more but they are "Lady Hunter" or Youth models. These are the main top tier models that are out there. Any one of them would do you right. And for the price, you'd be hard pressed to be disappointed.

I shot a model 11 light weight hunter at a Savage Demo day. It shot well, but at 5.5lbs, I wouldnt want to shoot it all day.

Savages are known for accuracy, the larger barrel profiles will just keep it from stringing when heating up after multiple shots.

I totally agree with all statements above. Why someone would buy just the Hornady brass I'll never understand. I've got a huge order of 140gr Hornady ammo on back order via Brownell's that I bought for $19.99 a box with free shipping.

That's a steal. Very nice score. Hope they get it to you eventually.

My buddy picked one up in a AR-10 platform for under a grand, the Hornady shoot excellent out of it

Can you find out exactly what he got and exactly what it will shoot as far as MOA? I'm not planning on getting into an AR10 in the next year, but I'd like to keep track of what people have that works well.

Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...