Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Race Master question

OskiATX

Tried searching for this but didn't see anything (apologies if I missed it)...

I've only used kydex type holsters in the past for SS or production class shooting so this question is due to my lack of exposure to race style holsters. It seems that insertion (and more importantly draw) on the holster takes barely any effort. I can see why this is HIGHLY desirable for a quick start but it would concern me for any starts where I need to sit on a chair or something and it might bump the muzzle. While unlocked it definitely prevents my SVI from rocking forward or backwards and there's a slight side-to-side wiggle but nothing that'd worry me but the straight up draw is super easy and I'm sure I'd never make it through a somersault w/ the gun retained.

Is my experience correct? I'm hoping that's expected and I should just have the holster unlocked right after I make ready and leave it locked when I'm taping/etc.or possibly lock it when I start in a seated position if I'm worried.

With the holster locked is a different story, that puppy is rock solid.

I lock mine when im walking around, or any time its a non standard start position ie chair, "bed" etc. If it is a stand and draw I leave it unlocked for the start. The lock is so easy to engage its not worth dropping a gun for the hair slower draw if any from a seated or laying down start.

I lock mine when im walking around, or any time its a non standard start position ie chair, "bed" etc. If it is a stand and draw I leave it unlocked for the start. The lock is so easy to engage its not worth dropping a gun for the hair slower draw if any from a seated or laying down start.

Same here. It is so easy to unlock that with practice it's just as fast to unlock it on the draw. Try this experiment. Holster the gun and just push up on the muzzle with your finger and see just how easy the gun dislodges. Too easy in my opinion for seated starts, laying down etc.

EkuJusrice is correct. We can start with it locked and when we go for the grip flip the small lever up, it sticks out about a 1/2 inch it is easy to flip and done its unlocked. It is seamless! Flip it down(out) it is locked, flip it up as your hand goes for the grip unlocked. I have done this many times and never miss it.

I never (cross my fingers) had my gun fall out of my Racemaster with the lock off. For an unusual start position such as a holstered seated or laying start I put the lock on. Its very easy and intuitive to sweep off the lock with the middle finger while drawing. A little dry fire practice with the lock on will get you acclimated in no time. I love the security of this holster yet its fast. With the lock on you'll give yourself a massive wedgie and rip your pants off before the gun comes out haha

The security and the ease of the lock is one reason I got it. I like that you can put the gun in, flip the lock down with the hand on the gun to double check to make sure its definately in there. It was also nice to have on the "battering ram" stage at ohio last year where you had to use the ram with both hands to open door, just easier to lock and go and not worry about dislodging it.