Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transitioning from Glock to STI

EricW

I hate shooting my Glock for a while, then trying to transition back to my STI. I always spend a week relearning not to overdrive the pistol again....which begs the question of why I ever do it in the first place.

I always spend a week relearning not to overdrive the pistol again....which begs the question of why I ever do it in the first place.

. . so why do you do it - switch back and forth that is?

I always spend a week relearning not to overdrive the pistol again....which begs the question of why I ever do it in the first place.

. . so why do you do it - switch back and forth that is?

Lack of a non-race-type holster for the STI. A problem which will be solved here in under a week. My carry guns are all Glocks, which is also part of the problem. I may have to go to the 1911, but really don't look forward to adventures in rust management.

My carry guns are all Glocks, which is also part of the problem.

That's why I just shoot a G22 in LTD. Does that put me at a disadvantage - maybe - but I don't shoot for a living so I just grip it and rip it :D

I'm doomed by small hands. I love my Glocks, but I don't miss not being able to dump my mags. I watched two or three guys do the Glock "shake and bake" mag change this weekend - brought back painful memories of three and four and five second reloads.

More power to ya, if you can make it work for you. B)

I'm doomed by small hands. I love my Glocks, but I don't miss not being able to dump my mags. I watched two or three guys do the Glock "shake and bake" mag change this weekend - brought back painful memories of three and four and five second reloads.

There's got to be an extended mag release out there that can solve your problem.

I never did understand that... it's not a problem for me. ;)

I wish that were true for me too. Even with an arched mainspring, my STI always point very low for me.

I'm middle of the road on both guns. Glock points a little high, STI points a little low (as long as the grip isn't undercut... if it is it points WAY low). I guess I've trained myself to adjust based on the feel of the grip.

What do you mean by "overdrive"?

Overdriving the Glock because it's lighter?

Tom,

For me it's a grip pressure thing. I drive a Glock like I drive a 2 ton truck: hands *firmly* planted 10 and 2 - driving actively. Call it wrong, call it what ever, it works for me. I don't know how else to describe the feel - except that it's very hands-on.

On the STI, if I want the gun to index at all, I have back waaaay off on the grip. Anything less than total neutrality and I'm hosed. It's like driving a BMW with a rock-solid rack and pinion for the first time. Let the car do the work....let the gun do the work. As soon as I try to get down on the STI, a la el Glockamundo, I'm screwed. I've got muzzle going everywhere but in front of me. It really screws with my sight return too. Lotsa alpha-charlies.

I shall now assume the Lotus position, breathe deep, relax, ship some grip tape, dryfire a little, then get ready to raise cain at skool manana.

Or I could just have Dr. Carlock recontour the grip on my 4506 to match a 1911 grip angle, cover it with grip tape and save about a gazillion dollars.

:P

That's actually not a bad idea.

A S&W 645 is a good choice too. In my hand, it feels more like a 1911 than does the 4506.